logolong

Hi and advice about my son

More
7 years 3 months ago #63872 by Sky
Hi everyone. My name is Sarah and I am new to site. I am hoping to get some advice about my 10 years son, who has dyslexia and ADHD. For the past month my son has been having daytime and nighttime wetting accidents, basically everyday. We have already took him to his doctor, and the doctor said my son is physically fine and it is most likely a behavioural issue. What can I do? I can't keep up with the washing.

Thank you! I would appreciate any advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #63873 by Jana
Replied by Jana on topic Hi and advice about my son
Have you tried any mental health professionals? A psychologist or psychiatrist? If it were me, that would be my next step. Good Luck!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sky

More
7 years 3 months ago #63875 by Sky
Replied by Sky on topic Hi and advice about my son
Thank you! No, I haven't spoken to any mental health professionals yet. My son does see a psychologist and psychiatrist, but sadly both are away until February. I am planning to talk to them when they return.
I'm not sure why he is having accidents but I think he is getting too distracted with whatever he is doing to take the time to go to the bathroom. He has been having about 2 or 3 accidents a day for the past month . He is very embarrassed about it :( I just don't know what to do at the moment.

More
7 years 3 months ago #63876 by Sky
Replied by Sky on topic Hi and advice about my son
I am starting to think it might be best if I put him back in nappies or pull ups until I figure out what is causing him to have accidents, but I'm not sure if I should. Does anyone have any thoughts?

More
7 years 3 months ago #63893 by riversidemarie
Hi. Until you are able to relax about the issue with your son I suggest if he is happy to use protection at night and maybe if you are with him remind him to use the loo fairly regularly. I know it's hard but try to relax because your son may well sense your concern over the blips. Is he on any medication for ADD or has dose been changed. I know this can effect levels of arousal and maybe physical arousal. ie. the need to pee. Reassure him as much as possible that you will try to help him sort out the problem and every time he does remain dry give him a reward. It can be a spoken "Well done" or a small token. sweet etc. Let him know that you sympathise without overplaying the situation. As regards washing I think you will have to grrin and bear it during the day. If it continues I suggest you return to your GP. and let him know that his pattern of using loo has changed and that he is finding stressful and so are you. When children have gained continence they usually like it. Have there been changes in his life which are causing the change in continence. Until you see the psychiatrist I think it is important to think very hard about the change is his behaviour and what has triggered it? Physical reasons do need discounting first. Good luvck to you both.

More
7 years 3 months ago #63898 by BUBBADOG14
Hi Sky, I did a little serving on the interweb and came across this page, I hope it helps a little. If I can help anymore please direct message me and I will try and assist you. :)

www.baltimorepsych.com/adhd_and_bedwetting.htm

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds