logolong

Participate in disabilities book

More
16 years 6 months ago #568 by allen1961
Hi,

I am 46, was born with spina bifida, and I've been professional writer for 25 years now.

I am writing a book about living with a disability, and I'm looking for personal stories that describe your hobbies or interests - anything that helps enrich your life!

Please e-mail me your stories (or send me your questions) at:
robertallenedwards@yahoo.com

Also, please feel free to share this message with your friends or on other message boards.

Thanks!

Allen Edwards
Bothell, WA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #45102 by
I play a saxophone and draw. I have an associate in commercial/graphic art but never found jobs in it. but I have sold art on t-shirts and many sold, and I also had framed art once in an art show. I also spent 15 years playing in big bands/concert bands and one swing band for pay, the rest were volunteer with the civic community bands in various towns and cities around the wisconsin, USA areas. I was in parades, in gazebos in the park, the thearterss out of schools, a wedding or two. and so on. I won many first place medals in school and went to band camp up in UWGreen Bay , WI . I always won the first chair in either the concert bands or the jazz bands. Unfortuanatley there is no money in any of the arts businesses and the competition is pretty stiff. Then we have our computers that took over the art and you don't have to be an artist to get a job. I got the collage and scholoarships, but not on the job training to get even through the door on any jib.It's a waste that they sell college courses for art and any career that there are no jobs. I had learning disabilities however, when it came to any job that there's any math involvede in it. I went to school again and agin for other careers when my art didn't get me much money., but that usually ended up shooing me to the way side before I'd get out to go get any of those jobs ....so I wound up being on disability ssdi insurance. I had to go get low income housing assistance too. Within a few years later, I developed at age of 20-age 40 fibromyalgia, injuries, osteo, jegenerative joint disease, endometriosis landing me with a hysterectomy, and than allergies, chemical sensitivity disorders, and hypoadrenalism/and thyroidism. I can't even sit , stand, walk long or handle cleaning or the artistic paint fumes anymore. I also had eye surgery where I have to wear dark glasses to even get on a computer of TV because my eyes are so sensitive as my skin.the eye muscles had to be streightened because I was born with crossed eyes. Even sitting here to draw now or be on a computer typing cramps my fingers and hands. all my talent first being wasted due to computers, the bad economy, and now disease.!!! I still play my sax, but only with my stereo because I no longer drive to go to band and nobody will give rides, and two, I don't want people to see me in this poor of condition on stage anymore...it don't look very professional when every few minutes I get blinded by the lights or get a cramp somewhere...either in my face and jaw, or in fingers, back, or feet. Fibromyalgia and or lupus are horrible diseases. They really tear apart your whole body and your quality of life. What I tell people now that try to brag about their talents is....you can't take it for granted...it can always be taken away from you eventually...you never know what God can throw at you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds