logolong

how do disabled people get on planes

More
11 years 8 months ago #45016 by Able_Here_Team
Today, there are a variety of travel options available for individuals with disabilities. These physical challenges don't have to stifle your desire to experience new adventures or to see the world. Here are some tips on traveling by air. Check out the video

www.ablehere.com/videos-of-disabled-peop...d-travel-by-air.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #47581 by bohonk
I have had several trips that demanded flying,, Here is some advice and some facts.
1. My first flight was using an isle chair "made by the airline,,,for the airline" if you can transfer,,its fine
Disabled people are always loaded first,,,ALWAYS Leave extra time for this!
2.CHECK your chair to your next destination,,use theirs.
3. Alert the airline BEFORE, that you will need assistance to your next flight.
KNOW SIX LANGUAGES....JUST KIDDING
The BIGGEST THING..CALL Ahead,,plan,,plan,,plan and call again

More
10 years 11 months ago #47584 by BUBBADOG14
I have taken many holidays where I have traveled by air, when you are booking the holiday make sure the travel agent knows your disabled, they may say they will arrange all the necessary arrangements for the airport and plane but I always double check these as I have been caught out before. This means assistance at the airport, help with baggage and getting through from check-in to departure gate. This can be good as you are fast tracked through all procedures! And getting on to the plane i.e being assisted on to the plane 1st before everyone else. I hope this may help someone and I hope I have explained everything clear, please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will try and answer them for you.

More
10 years 11 months ago #47593 by bohonk
i forgot tob tell you,,VERY IMPORTANT

IF you are flying in the U.S.A.....security is almost a "strip search"...shoes,,try not to take ANY METAL, NO aerasol cans,,,,allow extra time

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #47595 by Jana
The US could take a lesson from Israel. They have behavioral profilers sitting behind 2 way mirrors watching the crowd from above alerting security who to pull for a search based on their behavior. I understand it has been very successful.

I also read an article a couple of days ago that here in the US, they are putting "comfort dogs" in the airports for people to pet after the harrowing search experience. I'm at a loss for words... :huh:
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Jana.

More
10 years 11 months ago #47603 by BUBBADOG14
I've been to the USA twice now and both times I was padded down but not almost stripped searched! And I had some metal on i.e underwire bra!!

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds