logolong

Public transport

More
11 years 4 months ago #45941 by DarkFairy
Public transport was created by DarkFairy
Hello everyone!
It has been a while since I last posted something. I'm really busy with my study at the moment. Right now, I'm working on an assigment about public transport for disabled people. In order to compare our public transport system here in the Netherlands, I would like to know more about the public transport in other countries. So, I wanted to ask you guys to help me. I would like to know what you think of the public transport in your environment. Is it accessible? Are people willing to help you to get on and off buses, trains etc. Do you feel safe when you travel by public transport?

It would help me a lot if you could tell me more!

Thanks in advance!

Take care!

Janneke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #45951 by Karl
Replied by Karl on topic Re: Public transport
Hi Janneke

In the UK, we are getting a lot of accessible buses with ramps. They are good, but sometimes I don't feel safe especailly when the buses goes round the corners really fast as the wheelchair can move as its not strapped down.

Trains are wheelchair accessible in the uk. I feel safer on the trains as its smoother ride and some trains have disabled toilet too.

In blackpool UK, the trams are now wheelchair accessible now, Again a smooth ride.

karl

More
11 years 4 months ago #45957 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Re: Public transport
Hi Janneke, In Redditch, Worcsestershire where I live the public Bus service is no go for disabled people. They have made 'small' adaptions to the buses, put drop steps on them. But it's the drivers that are the problem! I haven't used public transport (buses) for a good ten-fifteen years after when I pushed the button for the bus to stop at the next stop and hauled myself up and made my way slowly to the front of the bus noticing it handn't started to slow down for the stop. And he threw his breaks on just as we came to the stop throwing me down the bus and crashing into the front of the bus. His excuse for not slowing down correctly? He didn't see me! When I pushed the 'next stop button' with plenty of time, and he should have seen me making my way down the bus! Well un-surprisingly I don't use public transport anymore! The council have a small disabled bus service called dial-a-ride which delivers you door to door and costs the same as public transport. And for hospital appt I have to use hospital transport as the one poor rule with dial-a-ride is it refuses to take people in wheelchairs to the hospital! What a pathetic rule! :angry: What I've learned since being a disabled adult is there is still a lot of discrimination towards disabled people even now in the 21st Century.

More
11 years 1 month ago #46955 by Grandma7
Replied by Grandma7 on topic Re: Public transport
Hi Janneke. The transport in London is supposed to be disabled friendly, we have ramps the driver can let down to let disabled people onboard. But, in practise, the drivers are often too lazy to do so! and say that they are out of order. We have seats reserved for elderly and disabled, but only a few and they are often occupied by other people. We do have dial a ride, which we can ring up and book, it is free and will take us most places within a 5 mile radius, they are very good and the driver very helpful. I hope that this is of some help to you. x

More
11 years 1 week ago #47267 by Jana
Replied by Jana on topic Re: Public transport
Hi Janneke,

I live in the US and there really aren't trains for public transport except for commuter trains near large cities. I'm not sure what the accomadations are, but there must be something, as federal law (The Americans with Disabilities Act) dictates that all disabled people be able to access any public place or form of transport, and most states make that so for businesses and churches as well. The bus service where I live is good. They have a special ramp that comes down on the side of the bus to pick up wheelchairs or people who cannot walk up the bus steps. The driver must affix the wheelchair to a special place in the bus for the rider. I would say that our city bus system is the main mode of transportation for people with either mental of physical disabilities who cannot drive.

More
11 years 1 week ago #47272 by bohonk
Replied by bohonk on topic Re: Public transport
GOOD MORNING,
In the U.S. , there is a bill that has been in effect several years, the ADA or Americans with Disabilities ACT. It mandates public transportation for ALL people. They are mandated by population and area. All public trans.-port busses must be equipped with all proper lifts and must contain any saftey equipment to ensure safe passage. Some citys,like mine, have a separate enity, PTS, Para-Transit Services. They deal mostly with the quads,para's and so forth. Public Transportation and its management is becoming more crutial in every day life

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds