logolong

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

More
12 years 7 months ago #37787 by Karl
The Planet of the Apes franchise has lasted more than four decades, and is rebooted in 2011 with Rise of the Planet of the Apes. But what do the Apes films tell us about humankind?

Cinema has long enjoyed a love affair with apes. In the 1930s, King Kong battled bi-planes atop the Empire State Building, while Tarzan teamed up with Cheeta in the jungle.

A chimp caused comic chaos for Cary Grant in Monkey Business, and Clint Eastwood co-starred with Clyde the orangutan in Every Which Way But Loose (and its sequel).

There were also Gorillas in the Mist, Mighty Joe Young, Amy the talking gorilla in Congo, and the man-apes at the start of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But one of the most memorable scenes in simian cinema is the first glimpse of a gorilla on horseback in the 1968 classic, Planet of the Apes.

A gorilla on horseback, in a military uniform. Holding a gun.

Continue reading the main story
Planet of the Apes films
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)
Conquest of he Planet of the Apes (1972)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)
Planet of the Apes (2001) - Tim Burton's remake
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Rupert Wyatt's reboot
"The great thing about the Apes mythology is it's all about us and our world," says Rupert Wyatt, director of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

"That scene turns the world upside down. It taps into our most primal fears. It introduces the idea of a world where we are not alpha."

Wyatt's origins story - set in present-day San Francisco - comes 10 years after Tim Burton's critically unloved remake of Planet of the Apes, which starred Mark Wahlberg, Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Roth.

The Planet of the Apes phenomenon started with Pierre Boulle's original 1963 novel. The 1968 film - starring Charlton Heston - spawned four sequels, as well as a 1970s live-action TV series and a cartoon.

But the Planet of the Apes films weren't just about gun-toting gorillas. As with much science fiction, there was subtext.

"They appear to be about apes, but they are really about people," says Rich Handley, founder of Hasselin Books and author of Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes (2010) and Timeline of the Planet of the Apes (2008).

"They hold a mirror up to us - and the mirror has two reflections, neither of which is very flattering.

"In the first film you've got humans who are reduced to mindless savages, and intelligent apes who are literally aping human behaviour and doing just as bad a job of it: they've still got prejudices, religious dogmatism and military paranoia."

Animal testing

Even ape society has its clear divisions - with the orangutans as political leaders, the chimpanzees as intellectuals and scientists, and gorillas as the military muscle.

"Both the savage, smelly humans and the snooty ape intellectuals are a reflection of humanity's inhumanity," adds Handley. He points out that the sequels explore other themes including nuclear paranoia, religious extremism and animal cruelty.

In 2011 there are other issues to explore. Rise of the Planet of the Apes takes genetics research and animal testing as its over-arching theme, but also looks at father-son relationships.

Project Nim focuses on communication between man and monkey James Franco plays Will Rodman, a scientist searching for a cure for Alzheimer's. He is partly driven by the fact that his father - played by John Lithgow - has the disease.

When the project is shut down, Rodman continues his experiments at home on chimp Caesar, a CGI creation played by Andy Serkis. The super-intelligent ape ends up at a primate sanctuary, and events quickly spin beyond human control.

"It's a Spartacus story," says Rupert Wyatt. "It's a few apes rising up against their oppressors, but after that it's an escape movie, it's them trying to find paradise."

Wyatt says he was cautious about including too many references to the original movie, but there are plenty for fans to spot. There's even Charlton Heston in The Ten Commandments on a TV set at the ape sanctuary.

In an ironic quirk of scheduling, Rise of the Planet of the Apes arrives in the same week as Project Nim, a documentary about an experiment in the 1970s which aimed to show that a chimp could learn to communicate with language if raised like a human child.

"There are echoes of his story in ours, but our main inspiration was Oliver the 'human-zee'," says Wyatt. "He was a chimp who preferred to walk upright. Some people did think he was the missing link."

Elsewhere on the cultural spectrum, Los Angeles artist Rachel Mayeri will premiere her latest Primate Cinema project at the Abandon Normal Devices festival in Liverpool at the end of September.

Her multi-channel video installation creates a film for chimpanzees based on their responses to cartoons, documentaries and feature films.

With talk of a sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes already in the air, why has the franchise endured?

"Part of the appeal comes from the staying power of the originals," says Handley.

"Those problems that resonated with the original audience still resonate today: we are still mistreating animals, and damaging the environment and feel in danger of being besieged."

Rise director Rupert Wyatt adds: "Planet of the Apes challenges us in terms of how we think about the world and it thrills us from an entertainment point of view.

"It's one of those rare bits of alchemy. I'm very fortunate to be a part of it."

Rise of the Planet of the Apes opens in the UK on 11 August.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #37791 by BUBBADOG14
I hate the planet of the apes films! It's because when I was young about 6yrs oldme and my sister where playing in the lounge/dining area behind the settee, my mom said she was popping over to our next door neighbours for something and left the telly on. And when me and my sister appeared from behind the settee we where met with planet of the apes on the telly screen. I was frightened out of my wits and went and hid behind the settee until my mom came home.I had nightmares of them and I still do to this day. I remember that day as a girl vividly like it was just a few days ago.Even now my heart is racing thinking about it. Crazy but true.

More
12 years 7 months ago #37827 by Karl
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you don't like monkeys? Have you seen them in zoos?

I was waving to gorilla in blackpool zoo about 25yrs ago. The gorilla waved back to me, I felt really sorry for it as it looked really bored. :(

Karl

More
12 years 7 months ago #37828 by BUBBADOG14
I'm fine with monkeys, alittle freaked at Gorilla's always hang on to Phil (hubby) with dear life! He finds it funny! I don't know what it is. Some sort of life imprint on me. I know it's stupid but the apes in planet of the apes scare the living shit out of me! :unsure:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #42607 by
God damn them all to hell! :laugh:

I have the boxed set of the original movies that I bought about a year ago...prior to which I had not seen them since my high school days.

Interestingly, one of the messages not apparent to me when I first watched these movies was the idea that it wasn't enough for apes to replace man as the dominant species...they needed something that set them apart from humans...the ideal of 'ape shall not kill ape'.

I also liked the Tim Burton remake and the 2011 reboot; the latter no doubt grist for the CGI mill. The two remakes also demonstrate that inflation is rampant in the motion picture industry as this chart shows in Wikipedia .

On another note, I can't post this without a scene from Spaceballs :laugh:

More
8 years 11 months ago #57266 by zeeshan
"They appear to be about apes, but they are really about people," says Rich Handley, founder of Hasselin Books and author of Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes (2010) and Timeline of the Planet of the Apes (2008).

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds