logolong

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN NEW MOVIE

More
11 years 8 months ago #44843 by Karl
I went to see the new Amazing Spider-man movie

Let’s just say it’s another example of a villain with a disability. I wasn’t offended. Perhaps that’s because it’s so comic book so it’s hard to take seriously. Maybe it’s because it’s not my disability. But maybe, too, there was something else.

The character Dr. Connors has one arm. what motivates his evil nature is the desire to generate a new arm–to “fix” himself.

This sounds like an offensive stereotype. But the character’s somewhat more complex than that. By and by, it seems he’s really a pretty nice guy. In fact, it seems he’s being egged on to do evil by someone else.

That may just be an excuse. I mean, he’s not entirely TURNED evil. He may be truly evil anyway. this much is pretty straightforward: When he lets his envy of the able-bodied take hold, he is evil. When he hates himself for having a disability, he is evil. That kind of thinking will get him nowhere.

It’s only as he begins to accept himself as he is that he shows a glimmer of humanity and, indeed, of wisdom.

Am I thinking over the top? But there is something to that message, isn’t there? Tell me what you think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #44845 by BUBBADOG14
I haven't seen the movie yet,but what you say about the before and after excepting your disability the change in a person yes I agree. I know when 1st found out that I had an illness/disability that was going to change my life for good I hated the world and went inside myself, I even told my husband to divorce me! It wasn't until I got to grips with myself and said to myself o.k this is how it's going to be learn to live with it that I became calmer and better to be around.

More
11 years 8 months ago #44859 by Karl

BUBBADOG14 wrote: I haven't seen the movie yet,but what you say about the before and after excepting your disability the change in a person yes I agree. I know when 1st found out that I had an illness/disability that was going to change my life for good I hated the world and went inside myself, I even told my husband to divorce me! It wasn't until I got to grips with myself and said to myself o.k this is how it's going to be learn to live with it that I became calmer and better to be around.

That is interesting, I have never hated the world maybe because I have always been disabled.

More
11 years 8 months ago #44861 by Jana
I haven't seen the movie either, though my husband often goes to see this type of movie with a buddy of his. The disability aspect I'm sure goes right over his head. MY disability goes right over his head.
I still, after 23 years of living with pain have not come to grips with it. I don't expect I ever will.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds