logolong

People making fun of you or staring at you.

More
7 years 7 months ago #62997 by CuteSarah
Have people ever made fun of you or stared at you because of your disability? Do you ignore it or do you say something to the people who were staring at you or making fun of you? I am 32 years old. I was born with Scoliosis and Spina Bifida Occulta. I am small for my age (4ft) because of Scoliosis. I use a wheelchair sometimes. I sometimes get stared at but i am used to it and sometimes i just smile at the people who stare at me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #63001 by BUBBADOG14
I think all of us disabled people get stared at once in a while, when I'm on holiday it's like 'look there's a disabled women in a wheelchair' like it's a rarity! Kids must think I'm a monster because they hide behind there mom's legs. I kind of have gotten used to it now but sometimes I feel like have I spouted up two heads or something! It's people's nature to look and stare, I don't think they realise they are doing it till I stare back!!

More
7 years 7 months ago #63003 by flynna3162581
being stared at is part and parcel of being a disabled person.... its like water off of a ducks back to me .... my 4 year old nephew has already asked me why i am in a chair even tho he is 4 year old he does understand why ......

More
7 years 6 months ago #63125 by dianajune
This is something I've had to cope with for a long time. I don't get around very well and have to use those electric wheelchair carts at the grocery store. Sometimes children will stare at me, and sometimes even older persons.

One of the reasons they stare is not only because I have to use an electric wheelchair, but also my weight and hernia. I was expecting to have weight loss surgery and a hernia repair last year but had to give up that idea. My insurance cost went up, so I can't have the surgery as I gave up my coverage.

The hernia makes me look very odd as it looks like I am full-term pregnant on my left side only. Good news, though, is that it is too large to get strangulated, which happened to me a few years ago. It could have killed me but did not, praise the Lord.

It's best to just ignore people who stare, but it isn't easy sometimes. I think the longer this goes on, the more used to it I become.

More
7 years 6 months ago #63137 by BUBBADOG14
I suppose your right in some ways the longer it goes on the more immune to it you become but it shouldn't be that way, you should be proud in your skin. People who stare are shallow minded.

More
7 years 6 months ago #63157 by Sandie
Scott replies "Am I wearing something you paid for"

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds