logolong

MICROWAVE

More
16 years 4 months ago #1829 by suzan
MICROWAVE was created by suzan
:) :) microwaves have made all the difference to wot i eat, when cooking small amounts theyre quick and easy, cut back on gas/elec bills and save on washing up........and most things that can be cooked on/in a conventional cooker can be cooked using a microwave.

when they first came out there was a lot of publicity regarding the dangers of microwaves escaping and leaking..and wot effects this may have on the user.

i havent seen much info around recently re safety and microwaves or methods used to test if yrs is leaking.......wot do others do/know abou this????

:) xx suzan xx :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1830 by Scott_1984
Replied by Scott_1984 on topic Re: Microwave:
My Mum used to have an Microwave, when I was younger.

But we hardly ever used it, as my Mum was worried of the long term effects of over using it.

My boyfriend doesn't like them either, LOL :)

Me & My Step-Dad bought one for our Caravan in Chrischurch in Bouremouth, but that was mainly for space & for friends, family, or renters that we might rent the caravan out for.

Some people love Microwaves & we wanted to make sure people had one, as some people like myself have no idea how to work an Electric Oven/Hobs.

The Static Carvansite doesn't use Gas in an of there Static Caravans, I am use to Gas Cookers & I can easily understand an Gas cooker.

I guess its safe not to have gas firers & cookers in such a confined space/area.

Scott :)

More
16 years 4 months ago #1831 by Scott_1984
Microwave Oven: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

A microwave oven, or microwave, is a kitchen appliance employing microwave radiation primarily to cook or heat food.

Microwave ovens have revolutionized food preparation since their use became widespread in the 1970s.

History: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven#History

Cooking food with microwaves was discovered by Percy Spencer while building magnetrons for radar sets at Raytheon.

He was working on an active radar set when he noticed a strange sensation, and saw that a peanut chocolate bar he had in his pocket started to melt.

Although he was not the first to notice this phenomenon, as the holder of 120 patents, Spencer was no stranger to discovery and experiment, and realized what was happening.

The radar had melted his candy bar with microwaves.

The first food to be deliberately cooked with microwaves was popcorn, and the second was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters.

On October 8, 1945 Raytheon filed a patent for Spencer's microwave cooking process and in 1947, the company built the first microwave oven, the Radarange.

It was almost 6 feet (1.8 m) tall and weighed 750 pounds (340 kg).

It was water-cooled and consumed 3000 watts, about three times as much as today's microwave ovens.

An early commercial model introduced in 1954 generated 1600 watts and sold for $2,000 to $3,000.

Raytheon licensed its technology to the Tappan Stove company in 1952.

They tried to market a large, 220 volt, wall unit as a home microwave oven in 1955 for a price of $1,295, but it did not sell well.

In 1965 Raytheon acquired Amana, which introduced the first popular home model, the countertop Radarange in 1967 at a price of $495.

In the 1960s, Litton bought Studebaker's Franklin Manufacturing assets, which had been manufacturing magnetrons and building and selling microwave ovens similar to the Radarange.

Litton then developed a new configuration of the microwave, the short, wide shape that is now common.

The magnetron feed was also unique.

This resulted in an oven that could survive a no-load condition indefinitely.

The new oven was shown at a trade show in Chicago, and helped begin a rapid growth of the market for home microwave ovens.

Sales volume of 40,000 units for the US industry in 1970 grew to one million by 1975.

Market penetration in Japan, which had learned to build less expensive units by re-engineering a cheaper magnetron, was faster.

Several other companies joined in the market, and for a time most systems were built by defense contractors, who were the most familiar with the magnetron.

Litton was particularly well known in the restaurant business.

By the late 1970s the technology had improved to the point where prices were falling rapidly.

Formerly found only in large industrial applications, microwave ovens (often referred to informally as simply \"microwaves\") were increasingly becoming a standard fixture of most kitchens.

The rapidly falling price of microprocessors also helped by adding electronic controls to make the ovens easier to use.

By the late 1980s they were almost universal in the US and had taken off in many other parts of the globe.

Current estimates hold that nearly 95% of American households have a microwave.

Currently, the Chinese firm Galanz is the largest maker of microwave ovens in the world.

Annually the firm produces over 15 million appliances accounting for 40% of the global market.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1832 by Scott_1984
Is Your Microwave Safe?: What you don't, and do, need to worry about :

No appliance inspires consumer angst like the microwave oven, says physicist Louis Bloomfield, PhD, author of How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life.

He should know: Worried microwave owners regularly deluge the University of Virginia professor with e-mails and letters asking if this household workhorse is really, truly safe.

Their number one fear? That microwaves can somehow make us sick, even give us cancer.

They can't, Bloomfield says.

Although we associate microwaves with nuclear power (even the dictionary lists microwave as the second definition of nuke), they are generally safe--if you follow operating instructions, keep an eye on children around them, and always have an oven mitt handy.

Is Your Microwave Safe?: What you don't, and do, need to worry about

More
15 years 8 months ago #6609 by Mavis
Replied by Mavis on topic Re: Microwave:
Am not an expert when using a microwave and I learned fast how to turn sausages into cinders, also how to flood the oven with liquid, undercook potatoes and carrots. Now I think before I use it and have small successess, I at first you don't succeed,try, try , try again eh!:dry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #6679 by
Replied by on topic Re: Microwave:
I only ever eat Kryptonite from a microwave...It always comes out black xxxxx ;) :whistle:

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds