logolong

Need support: hypermobility and carpal instability

More
15 years 1 month ago #16999 by bombadil
You guys are so awesome, thanks Scott & Julie. :)

Your words of encouragement and support mean a LOT to me.

I decided that I am not going to give up.

Workers compensation got back to me the other day and they are now saying (according to the professional medical opinion of their own doctor, who has never once seen me in person) that I have carpal instability which was pre-existing before my injury at my job.

They say I suffered a \"sprain\" and that I'm healed of the sprain now, and that I have pre-existing carpal instability which is \"delaying my recovery\".

The really weird thing is that they consider wrist hypermobility and carpal instability to be the same things... when even the doctor who diagnosed it as hypermobility said it is not the same.

And the really weird thing is that the doctor I am seeing now does not even agree that I have wrist hypermobility AT ALL.

It is such a strange and broken system, and it can be really frustrating...

My current strategy is to follow up with the doctor I am seeing now in a few days, and ask him to please refer me to a hand and upper limb orthopaedic doctor. As well I am going to be printing some pages from medical journals which show how carpal instability cannot generally be detected by x-rays especially in the early stages.

Thanks again for all of your replies, I have faith that everything will work out for the best in its own time. :)

Truth is Truth and it eventually comes to the surface.

Love & Blessings
bombadil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #17000 by bombadil
Also yesterday I went to the physiotherapy clinic where I was first treated.

I asked them for a copy of the diagnosis that the physiotherapist wrote saying that she found I have carpal instability after doing physical examinations.

They provided me with a copy (which I am also going to show to my new doctor).

The diagnosis she wrote is dated Feb. 26th 2008! So it's been almost a year.

This is the same note that she told me to give to my first doctor, and he threw it in the trash. I'm really glad they kept a copy in my file.

More
15 years 1 month ago #17001 by Scott_1984
Hiya Ryan :)

Glad you've managed to get a copy of your Physiotherapist letter :)

Me & Julie know what you are going through & how most Consultants know little about MCI/PMCI & remember they've only been mainly learning since Lichtman's Papers & Research in 1981 - wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/9 & wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/10 & wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/15

Sadly its not been drilled into Doctors/Consultants heads yet that Wrist Instability starts off as Dynamic Wrist Instability & needs Physical Wrist Examinations & Special Tests - wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/39 & wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/40 & wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/14 & wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/3

All Mid Carpal Instability Websites & Meidcal Journals I've been able to uplaod at: wristinstability.multiply.com/journal

More
15 years 1 month ago #17002 by Scott_1984
Ryan,

I wish you all the best of luck :)

Stay strong & understand alot of MCI/PMCI Suffers are passed from Doctor, Conultant, Hospitals, For Weeks, Months, Or even years :(

Remember I didn't even get to see Mr. McCarthy until: 28-02-2003, Despite the orginal accident/injury to my left hand/wrist took place on: 13-10-2002,

So that was 4 months later.

Also remember Mr. McCarthy knew I had MCI/PMCI on: 28-02-2003 but he didn't offically tell me or give me a letter for My Ex-Employers Marks And Spencer Plc,

Until He carried out the Diagnostic Wrist Arthroscopy on: 29-10-2003 & I weren't told until: 17-11-2003 or got any letters,

Yet My Medical Records show He confirmed MCI/PMCI on: 28-02-2003 to a letter he sent to his colleage.

More
14 years 9 months ago #25842 by bombadil
Hello again everyone, just dropping by to give an update.

The doctor I saw a few months ago, who I asked to refer me to the orthopaedic hand and upper limb surgeon, did send a referral. Around that time I also emailed the orthopaedic hand and upper limb surgeon and asked him to please see me or to recommend someone else who would be able to diagnose me in the city.

I got an appointment with the orthopaedic hand and upper limb surgeon, and I saw him 2 days ago (on Monday).

He did a physical examination of my wrists and immediately diagnosed my condition as midcarpal instability ! He told me that I have always had midcarpal instability (was born with it) but he believes that the injury at my job made it permanently worse (enhanced it).

It was the most positive experience I have had yet with a doctor concerning my injury. He took the time to listen to me and he understood exactly what was going on with my wrists.

He also said that he will help me appeal the worker's compensation board's decision to suspend my benefits. Yesterday I contacted a worker advisor and started the process.

I am relieved on so many levels, to have finally found a competent doctor (orthopaedic hand and upper limb surgeon) that has taken the time to listen to me and properly diagnose my condition.

Unfortunately he said there is not much that can be done except for continuing with wrist and hand exercises. A physiotherapist was present while he did the examination and afterwards she went over some exercise techniques with me.

Today my wrists hurt quite a bit due to the examination... and I am wearing some wrist supports. I am going to go get some new better wrist supports with a metal plate support in them, as the ones I have currently are just made of fabric.

Here are two documents about midcarpal instablity I found today:

Midcarpal Instability

&

Midcarpal Instability - Intrinsic to Carpus (page 22)

Hope everyone is well ~
bombadil

Post edited by: bombadil, at: 2009/06/10 08:14<br><br>Post edited by: bombadil, at: 2009/06/10 08:15

More
14 years 9 months ago #25843 by Scott_1984
Hiya Ryan :)

CONGRATULATIONS :)

I've always know You've had Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI)

&amp;

I was always of the view it could have always been there, &amp; If you hadn't suffered an injury through work, By over working both your wrists, Then The MCI/PMCI may have never come to light &amp; the instability would have never come through or happend &amp; you wouldn't have known &amp; therefore be living a normal Pain Free &amp; Wrist Instability Life Now!.

\&quot;My Consultant Orthopeadic &amp; Trauma Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon, Mr. Donal Martin McCarthy Has Always Been OF The View I've Always Had MCI/PMCI Inside My Hands/Wrists, But If It Wasn't For The Accident/Injury To My Left Hand/Wrist Wouldn't Have Brought It To Light,

But When He &amp; Colleagues Were Unable To Physically Find An Abnormal Movements, Instability, Clunking, Snapping, Popping, Clicking, Through Physical Examinations Of My Right Fingers, Hand, Wrist, Arm Shoulder, Right Side Of Neck,

&amp;

Nor When They Carried Out All Physical Instability Examinations &amp; Tests On My Right Hand/Wrist, Mr. McCarthy &amp; NHS Colleagues Had To Come To The Conclusion That, If It Was Not For Me To Suffering The Accident/Injury To My Left Hand/Wrist On: 13-10-2002, I Would Have Not Suffered From MCI/PMCI In My Left Hand/Wrist &amp; Therefore I Had No Hidden &amp;/Or Underlying MCI/PMCI In Either Of My Hands/Wrists,

&amp; If It Wasn't For The Accident/Injury In My Left Hand/Wrist, No MCI/PMCI Would Have Been Caused By The Accident/Injury, Nor Been Present Before: 13-10-2002.

\&quot;SORRY I AM RAMBLING AGAIN\&quot; :(

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds