logolong

Wrist Instability/Carpal Instability - Chat:

More
15 years 3 months ago #15954 by Scott_1984
Hiya Ryan,

Most MCI Suffers go through the same problems,

I wasn't diagnosed or even see My Consultant Orthopeadic & Trauma Hand & Upper-Limb Surgeon - Mr. Donal Martin McCarthy, until: 28-02-2003 (I had my Accident/Injury on: 13-10-2002), So many months later,

I went to A&E the evening of: 13-10-2002, Just had X-Rays & given Dilofenc tablets & collar & cuff & shown Physiotherapy Exercises to do & told to stay off work for 2 weeks, Nothing showing up on X-rays, & to come back in Pain Discomfort contiued, etc.

Mr. McCarthy (His Skilled & seen 2 people with MCI before & knows Mr. David M Lichtman from America) followed The Rules For Daignosing MCI, Physical Wrist/Hand Examinations & Tests of both hands/wrists, elbows, shouler, & neck,

& He also still had to do X-rays & MRI-Scans, Then in November 2003 He Did Wrist Arthroscopy & was properly able to confirm MCI, Even though Mr. McCarthy knew this on: 28-02-2003 just be the correct MCI Physical Tests, Litchman & others say carry all tests out before Wrist Arthroscopy.

Its alot to take in & your not alone from being ignored or seeing Consultants/Doctors who have no clue.

Your Have To Learn Copy & Paste Like Me :)

Get Gadets to open tins, bottles, etc.

If you give me your E-Mail Address, I can help further :)

The Tests & Examinations for MCI can be found @ tinyurl.com/7emw4y

Plan X-Rays (At Special Angals/Tilts) @ tinyurl.com/78xabc

MCI is Poorly understood or not correcltly spotted or diaginosed, It was first recorded in 1919 & 1934, But it was Mr. David M Lchtman who brought it to The Worlds Consultant Orthopeadic & Trauma Hand & Upper-Limb Surgeon's ATTENTION in 1981 & sSince 1981 Him & others have been trying to understand its causes & why it happens in different ways & patterns & some people with clunks go years without Pain & Discomfort & others ger Pain & Discomfort as soon as The Clunk & Ligament Damage happens, etc.

Carpal instability Website @ emedicine.medscape.com/article/1241370-overview

Recognition of what is normal and what is pathologic is the key to arthroscopic treatment of carpal instability.

If carpal instability is suspected, both the radiocarpal and midcarpal spaces must be examined.

Interosseous ligament tears may block visualization in the radiocarpal space; thus, the degree of rotation of the carpal bones and abnormal motion are appreciated best by viewing from the midcarpal space.

A limited type of intraoperative arthrogram may be performed for the evaluation of carpal instability.

After examining the radiocarpal space, the inflow cannula is left in the radiocarpal space, and a needle is placed in either the radial or ulnar midcarpal
portal.

If a free flow of irrigation is present, a tear of the interosseous ligament should be suspected.

www.dochand.com/pages/7A3b_index.html

Julie from here,

ISa trained & skilled Physiotherapist & She got Mid Carpal Instability in both hands/wrists,

She's had to have time off work & to under go Surgies,

& Her Consultant Orthopeadic & Trauma Hand & Upper-Limb Surgeon - Mr. Charles A Pailthorpe - tinyurl.com/8d8z9o

He believe's Julie suffered Mid Carpal Instability to both her wrists/hands through Repetive Movements/Tasks & Her Job.

If you have an E-Mail Address, I can send you copy of Page: 30 of Wrist Instability Ueli Buchler - 1997,

States:

Midcarpal Ligament Tear Or Attenuation

*Pain & 'Clunk' In Hyperlax Young Patient After Light Injury Or Repeated Stress

*After Rotational Significant Injury I Normal Patients

& From other medical journals I have read & people I've spoken online & Consultants, Confirm MCI can be caused by Repeated Stress, Or a light injury that patient had years ago or doesn't even remember as the injury was nothing bad.

Thank you so much for your replies Scott.

I've had some time to think about things and I am feeling better now. Thanks for the hugs :)

I looked at the Beighton score, and I actually don't have any of those criteria. I asked the doctor today if he thinks I have hypermobility syndrome or just hypermobile wrists, and he said that he had not yet tested me to see if I have hypermobility syndrome, but that he thinks I have hypermobility just in my wrists (carpal hypermobility).

I don't remember my wrists cracking and clunking like this before my injury.

The doctor diagnosed me as having \"chronic RSI and carpal hypermobility\". I asked him what is causing my RSI and he said he doesn't know.

The only test he did were X-rays and also he took my wrists in his hands and moved them around (which really hurt).

I realized today that this doctor never diagnosed me as having wrist instability/carpal instability. That is what a physiotherapist told me, and is also what workers comp thinks I have. I'm not sure how they got that opinion.

I am thinking of just giving up, but do you think I should try to find another doctor and get a third opinion?

Right now if I make a tight fist I feel a \"clunk/pop\" in my wrist, and the same thing happens if I just turn my wrists or anything.

Thanks Scott,
Ryan<br><br>Post edited by: Scott_1984, at: 2009/01/09 02:40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #15955 by Scott_1984
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION OF WRIST INSTABILITIES tinyurl.com/7e8k6p

This version is an update of the original version as Lou A. Gilula was very kind to correct the grammatical as well as the orthographic mistakes of the text.

He also took of his time to partly rewrite this text.

His advices and comments were very useful and I want to deeply thank him for his contributions.

Some remarks have also been made by David M. Lichtman who sent me more details on the performance of the midcarpal shift test that he described.

His drawings were not included in the original version of this work published in French in the number 49 of Maîtrise Orthopédique.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 months ago #16078 by
Hi Ryan
I hope you don't mind me writing on here to you but I am interested in what's happening to you. I can see you have been chatting to Scott, who is a fountain of information, but I can not see what you originally said about your condition. I have MCI and my consultant is now querying Hypermobility syndrome for me as my previous wrist surgeries have not responded as they should have done.
I would definately get another opinion from a consultant as my first consultant missed my MCI even as he was giving me a triscaphoid joint replacement. I am lucky that my second consultant seems to know his stuff very well.
I don't want to prattle on too much now so if you want to chat let me know.
Take care
Julie:)

More
15 years 3 months ago #16080 by bombadil
Hi julie,

all of my posts about my situation and condition are in this thread:

www.ablehere.com/component/option,com_jo...w/id,15798/catid,47/

feel free to add anything you want there.

i am going to see a new doctor hopefully soon, one specialized in hand and upper limb orthopaeadics.

nice too meet you julie :)

~ Ryan

More
15 years 3 months ago #16086 by Scott_1984
1997 - The Wrist &amp; Its Disorders - Second Edition - Page 10.

Rotational Subluxation Of The Scaphoid Within The Carpus Has Long Been Recognized, But The Exact Pathologic Process Is Not Yet Fully Understood. Writers In The Past Have Referred To \&quot;Sprained Wrist\&quot; With Little Attempt To Analyze Or Specifically Treat The True Effects Of The Injury.

Attempts To Stabilize The Carpus By Soft Tissue Repair Are A Later Innovati

reynolds1984.multiply.com/journal/item/20

Your Need Win Zip To Download It.

More
15 years 3 months ago #16150 by bombadil
Wrist Instability - Edited by Ueli Büchler

tinyurl.com/buchler-wrist-instability

(book)

Page 163: Midcarpal Instability: Description, classification, and treatment

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.520 seconds