logolong

I'm not an inspirational cripple

More
12 years 2 months ago #42250 by Able_Here_Team
The media makes out the disabled to be inspirational and happy people who don't have a care in the world.

www.ablehere.com/videos-of-disabled-peop...ational-cripple.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #43206 by seeandbesafe.com/products
Hi,

I'm an absolute newbie to this site. I'm very glad that I found this site and your post. Would you mind elaborating on the topic title? Why aren't you an inspirational cripple? Is is it that you find it offensive for non-disabled persons to assume that you care if they are inspired or repulsed by you?

More
11 years 10 months ago #44168 by Jana
Karl,

I so agree with you. If I see one more tv ad for fibromyalgia medication that will make me slim, beautiful, full of energy and able to take on life like I used to, I will scream!

I guess I prefer to be an uninspiring cynic.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #48151 by
rather oddly I never thought about placing it on here until I was sent another email about another fake profile wanting to contact me, now deleted.
So here I am and thought as there are disability sufferes on here I will link my blog here. There is much more than just the disability issues each one more shocking than the last.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #48152 by tessa
To Able_Here_Team:

Thank you, thank you......thank you so much for having posted the link up above..........I agree 100% with the girl speaking in the video.....
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by tessa.

More
9 years 4 months ago #56061 by Tomrymer
I remember meeting a generally friendly couple who asked told me 'You probably find Tanni Grey (no Thompson then) a real inspiration', they were shocked when I replied that I didn't. I gave a few seconds for this to sink in then explained that I wasn't a wheelchair racer so her efforts though admirable were not particularly relevant to my life and circumstances.
They then switched to Douglas Bader a man who knew that he was capable of flying and proved it against all opposition. Perhaps I don't find/need inspiration in others achievements but I disappointed them again. Bader did what was possible and good for him but again his life and difficulties were not mine.
I was once accosted by a silly middle-aged woman who crossed the road to tell me how brave I was to be in the city centre in a wheelchair; I felt sorry for her that she found such a slight thing inspirational. The same woman told me 'You just want to be accepted don't you.' To which the answer was no, I only wished I could accept other people! Actually I said nothing but watched her scuttle away wiping her eyes and congratulating herself on the comforting words she'd offered this poor unfortunate.
Not having a female friend at the time and she not having a repulsive form and face if she'd told me I just wanted to spend a few minutes hidden in the shrubbery with her I might have been tempted! Accepted is not something I've ever wanted to be....

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds