logolong

I'm not an inspirational cripple

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #58431 by Will
It's good to know that we "wheelie guys" have our uses... Years ago, I went to a pub-chum's house (exchanging 'LP's I think). I didn't know he had a sister - until she came into the room. Blind from birth (I later found out). Not 'conventionally' beautiful, but what a personality! Intelligent, charming, great company. Right out of my league! Her brother verbally abused her (playfully) like siblings do, and she responded with kind, but very witty replies (she slaughtered him!). She was a 'force' that could benevolently dominate a room but didn't 'expect' to. VERY attractive imho. Disabled or not, it's how you make the best of what you've got I think. Sorry if I keep dishing up memories of 'old friends / events / happenings', but they're all I've got left...sob. (Note to self - really must get a life...)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riversidemarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #58433 by BUBBADOG14
When I was in hospital once I got friendly with another girl who had to use a wheelchair and when we couldn't sleep at night we would sneak out the ward and go and have races down the empty corridors. It was fun!! :evil:

Will wrote:

Able_Here_Team wrote: The media makes out the disabled to be inspirational and happy people who don't have a care in the world.

www.ablehere.com/videos-of-disabled-peop...ational-cripple.html

Are disabled people "Inspirational"? Not automatically. But our section of society is no different to the able-bodied one, in that, statistcally there must be a few 'good ones' amongst us. I've only been 'part' of the disabled 'world' for a relatively short time, and reading some of the profiles on this site I know that I am one of the 'lucky' ones. Many people deal with or overcome greater problems than my own. If I'm having a bad day or feeling a bit sorry for myself, I can at least take courage from those 'doers', 'copers' and 'livers of life'. I think we should also take into account the "There but for the grace of God / (good fortune) go I" factor. Some people who don't have a disability themselves nor ever interacted with people who do, may be unable to even imagine what it is like to be "a bit different". That is a very scary thing for some. When I was in hospital after my 'Op' , a young man who was visiting his grandmother came over and began asking me questions. I told him the facts. When I finished he shook his head and said, "I feel so sorry for you...". Err thanks! Also in hospital, I loved scooting around the beautifully wide, flat, corridors - I even became 'expert' at zipping through heavy double doors, not that difficult once I got the knack. Some people (nurses included) thought this was a wonderful trick - ("Poor old guy, tries so hard, bless him..."). I may have "inspired" one or two!

More
8 years 8 months ago #58444 by Tomrymer
I was once asked if Tanni Grey-Thompson inspired me and the answer I gave upset my inquisitor. If I were a wheelchair racer she would inspire me to greater efforts but as I use my wheelchair purely to get around I'm immune.
I was once accosted by a virtual idiot who told me he bet I'd give anything to walk again, I upset him too when my response listed all the things I'd not be prepared to give up. I enjoy being me, my intellect may be small but weightier than some who've quizzed me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sandie

More
8 years 8 months ago #58455 by Will
Nothing wrong with letting off steam about the stupidity of others - good therapy imho.
However, to hold the "high ground", it might be better to understand why some people bahave like idiots!
Once we understand their motives and thinking, it's much easier to metaphorically 'pat them on the head and wish them well!'
Then dismiss them. I do it. But then there is a passage in 'Desiderata', a mostly secular text / poem that says, "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Listen to others, even the dull and ignorant - they too have a story to tell."
Well, I don't think I'm heading for "sainthood", that's a pretty tall order!
Something to ponder all the same, perhaps.

More
8 years 8 months ago #58458 by Tomrymer
What people find inspiring is down to their own need, there people I admire or celebrate but find my inspiration in my own determination to do that which I choose to do.
As to what has been posted immediately before this, I too have a saying that I adhere to (perhaps Confucian in origin: If people have little knowledge don't laugh at them for every one of them knows something you do not. However when accosted by a fool I who, as the person I mentioned in my previous post, more or less told me that if he were me he would kill himself my contempt for his ineptitude is I feel justified.
Disabled people are not seeking to inspire but just to get on with their lives and play the hand dealt them.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #58462 by Will

Tomrymer wrote: What people find inspiring is down to their own need, there people I admire or celebrate but find my inspiration in my own determination to do that which I choose to do.
As to what has been posted immediately before this, I too have a saying that I adhere to (perhaps Confucian in origin: If people have little knowledge don't laugh at them for every one of them knows something you do not. However when accosted by a fool I who, as the person I mentioned in my previous post, more or less told me that if he were me he would kill himself my contempt for his ineptitude is I feel justified.
Disabled people are not seeking to inspire but just to get on with their lives and play the hand dealt them.

I have to agree with everything said here. There are several "isms" in the world, 'Racism', 'Sexism' 'Ageism' , etc. All, I think are based on ignorance.
I don't know if there is a specific "ism" that descibes negativity towards the disabled, but such attitudes certainly exsist. Someone suggesting that you might be 'better off dead' is totally inexcuseable, I feel.
I would hate to give the impression that I support or condone any of the "isms". Offensive behaviour is offensive behaviour, whoever it is aimed at, disabled or not. My limited 'sympathy' only lies with those well-meaning, simple souls, who think they are doing "Good". The main subject of this thread relates to "inspiration". It is quite possible that some one reading your no-nonsence, down to earth, practical views, might at least be bolstered by them. You may not set out to 'inspire', you may even find the concept rather distasteful, but it's a possibility.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14, Sandie

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds