logolong

disabled computer usage mouse alternatives?

More
8 years 3 months ago #60711 by mysteriousmonkey29
Hello, I have really bad repetitive stress injuries in my hands from using the computer too much. In order to try to let my hands get better, I have tried a variety of different ways to use the computer. First and foremost, I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking (speech recognition) to replace typing. It's a pain but works, and I have successfully been using it without causing myself any other physical problems for a couple years.

The trouble is more with mouse alternatives. Originally I switched to a bilipro foot mouse, which was great for moderate computer usage, but then when I got an internship and tried to use the computer a lot, I gave myself really bad knee problems and now I can't really use the foot mouse at all anymore (or any other kind of foot switches--even driving is bad if I do it too much). Next, I switched to NaturalPoint hands-free mouse, which is essentially a head mouse, which works by tracking an IR reflective.which I have attached to the bill of a hat (I use dwell clicking to click). Like the foot mouse, this is fine for moderate computer usage, but begins to give me problems when I try to use it more, and also sometimes gives me eye fatigue problems (because you have to look at the screen in an unnatural way because your head has to move to control the mouse). Finally, in an attempt to be able to use the computer market with the same internship, I got a tobi pceye eye tracker (which is definitely the coolest technology I've used because of this injury). However, the eye mouse gives me really bad eye fatigue problems really quickly.

I'm kind of running out of ideas here from online research, so thought I would post on this forum and see if anyone knows of any potentially useful alternative mouses that I haven't tried? I tried investigating to see if there was anything that would let me control the mouse with my mind,and found this software:

mindsolutionscorp.com/mind_mouse

which claims to be able to control the mouse with your mind, using the emotiv EPOC headset, but I am suspicious because their demo video shows someone controlling the mouse with the Gyro Sensor in the headset, not actually their thoughts. And their customer service won't pick up the phone or call me back.

Anyway, does anyone know of any good mouse alternatives I haven't tried? Help would be much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #60715 by BUBBADOG14
Hi, I have been doing some research for you and have come up with some possible sites that maybe able to help you.
There is a R.S.I site that has it's own shop with products you might find suitable for you. Worth a look here is a link:- www.rsi-shop.co.uk/

Also I have found a gentleman who has R.S.I and does a blog that maybe interesting to you. Here is the link. timboontech.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/rsi-p...on-part-5-mouse.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: mysteriousmonkey29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds