logolong

Pathways to Work for disabled people

More
13 years 3 months ago #32356 by Able_Here_Team
About Pathways to Work
Pathways to Work is a programme run by Jobcentre Plus to help people who are claiming Employment and Support Allowance or incapacity benefits to get work.

You will be expected to take steps to find work or prepare for work unless you have a health condition or disability that severely affects your ability to do so.

As well as help from Jobcentre Plus, you may get extra support from one of its partner organisations from the private and voluntary sectors. Those organisations are called 'providers'.

You may be entitled to extra money when you start or stay in work.
Who is eligible
When you make a claim for Employment and Support Allowance or incapacity benefits, you will automatically be considered for Pathways to Work. Only people aged between 18 and the age when you are eligible to receive Pension Credit will automatically be considered. This applies if you are claiming for the first time, or are claiming again after a break in receiving benefit.

Incapacity benefits include:

•Incapacity Benefit
•Income Support on the grounds of incapacity
•Income Support while you are appealing against a decision that you are not incapable of work
•Severe Disablement Allowance
Even if you are not automatically considered, you can still apply for help from Pathways to Work if you are entitled to certain benefits because of your health condition or a disability.

For more info, go to www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Empl...Programmes/DG_171745

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #32958 by pussycat
Hi,
I was referred to the Pathways scheme, had my first interview in April, due to the fact I was waiting for an operation (which they knew) they couldn't do anything to help me find a job, obviously. I was referred onto the Shaw Trust who help the disabled back into work and find out what financial help is available
when they do. However, you have to have 5 meetings with the Shaw trust, it's mandatory. I went for my first meeting, to be told they cannot help me until I have been 'officially' referred to them, thought I had been but they have to have a copy of your medical assessment by ATOS first, I had my medical in April, received my copy that same month but this has not been forwarded to either Pathways to Work or the Shaw trust so nothing is 'official' yet. I can go to the Shaw Trust meetings on a voluntary basis but will then have to do the 5 meetings again on the mandatory basis, the voluntary meetings won't be counted.
I am waiting for my second medical now, due half yearly, but the first one still has not been forwarded on.
These companies can help once they have official notification from the benefits office but Im told it can take many months.

More
13 years 2 months ago #32967 by stellaq
Reading this makes me very glad that I am self employed.

Moderators: NaomiB
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds