• Page:

TOPIC:

Lovecraft Country 1 month 1 week ago #72543

• StPaddy
  • StPaddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Starting in the 1950s Lovecraft Country is a show based on a novel I probably should've read by now. It's interesting that this shows cast is mostly black and addresses racism while using bits of Lovecraft's work, even admitting in passing in the show that Lovecraft was a bit of a racist. The show addresses racism heavily with a very narrow scope of things truly being shown but you definitely get the idea when the show offers "Sundown towns".
I'm halfway through it and while the story is told in a linear fashion it jumps around a little or simply acknowledges some ideas. The anti-racism in it is an interesting mix of what history will say actually happened with oddities in the show that help promote the reasons for it, but it doesn't ruin the show or alienate half of the potential fans like I've seen in a lot of "progressive" shows.
The characters seem well defined and the acting is great, I look forward to watching the rest and would recommend this show, even to people who aren't especially thrilled about Lovecraft's themes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lovecraft Country 1 month 1 week ago #72544

• jj~
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
Lovecraft country was not for me, blood N guts I steer clear of

Lovecraft Country 1 month 1 week ago #72550

• StPaddy
  • StPaddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

jj~ wrote: Lovecraft country was not for me, blood N guts I steer clear of

I understand, a lot of Lovecraft's personal material wasn't always so visceral but relied more on the psychology of fear. Fortunately for me, I like both!

Lovecraft Country 1 month 5 days ago #72566

I saw the first episode. What a great way to start off a series.

• Page:
Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds