Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starting to learn about living with sight impairment 5 months 3 weeks ago #71701

Since seeing the Ophthalmologist we have had to change our light bulbs to a brighter 'daylight' light so I can see better, it has made a huge difference, I've changed the font to a larger font on my laptop and phone also helped!! The sight Occupational therapist came over to my home yesterday and has given me a gadget to help me with making drinks and it bleeps when the drink level has been reached so I don't over fill. And we discussed things like talking books and newspapers to help me get back to what I used to enjoy, also joining sight loss groups so I can talk to others who are going through what I'm going through. She also has got me signed up as legally sight impaired which means I get free directory inquiry calls!! She has shown me a few other gadgets I can get to help me around the home and outside so I have ordered one item and need to look at a couple of others. So over all I'm getting used to being visually impaired but it's been a shock. I'm hoping in the long run I will be able to help others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting to learn about living with sight impairment 5 months 4 days ago #71767

Since the Sensory sight lady from Social Services came to see me I've been using the fluid measure gadget a lot! My husband has brought a coloured dinner set as white plates a hard to see certain foods on, he also brought some coloured glasses so I can see fluid in them. I've also changed my mouse cursor to black so I can see it on my laptop as I couldn't see it before and it took ages to find it on the screen! And my husband brought me a new electronic tablet for my Birthday (even though I've got it a couple of weeks early!) And has set it up so I can see it and read it, he even put the kindle app on it and made the text darker and bigger so I can now read books on this new tablet from my Amazon kindle! I'm still learning how to live with my impaired vision every day and learning new things I can do to help make things a little easier living with it. I had a phone call from the RNIB (royal national institute of the blind) this morning and one of their staff are going to come round and speak to me and see if they can help in anyway as they do courses and have
monthly meetings. Also offer any advice on gadgets etc. So she is coming to see me at home in a couple of weeks. I'll let you all know how that goes and keep you updated with how things are going with me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds