logolong

A new guide to accessible city navigation!

More
10 years 11 months ago #47634 by wheely.us
This is a place to grow a community on accessible travel. This a place to share your stories, your experiences, tips and tricks, and to help others with disabilities to travel the world with a little less anxiety and frustration.

Over the years I have traveled to a lot of different places with my family. My father is diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and gets around mostly in a power chair making travel a little more challenging. Most destinations we visit are pretty easy to navigate taking into account for accessibility Last year I moved to New York City to attend graduate school at Parsons. My family comes to visit me and the Big Apple quite often but I have found that New York City needs much more planning and research on accesible venues in order to make the trip enjoyable. Many subway stations, though state accessible, are not. Many restaurants do have lifts but, it takes twenty minutes for them to clear the tables and chairs from in front of it and another twenty before you get to your seat. What if you want to see something else besides Times Square or Central Park? What if you want to visit The VIllage? Or Lower East Side? We have to worry about uneven subway platforms and sidewalks. Where are accessible restaurants and restrooms located?

I am approaching my thesis year at Parsons and would really like to approach a problem that is personal for me. I think there is a great need for these kind of resources to be organized and available to the disabled community.

I am reaching out to you guys to hopefully get some insight and advice on what you would like to see in a site as far as resources and features.

Right now I am designing a site that will contain aggregated yelp and Zagat like reviews but focusing on the sites disabled user reviews in the hierarchy. I am including a blog of my personal experiences traveling with my father as well as a user forum for discussion. I will be integrating an open source google maps feature where people can collaborate on their routes of travel throughout cities giving others tips and advice on what streets, sidewalks, buses, and trains to avoid. There will also be some form of itinerary list where users can login and store and share their itinerary for their trip including reviews on establishments, routes used, and tips and advice. The site will have a full social integration as well, things like Facebook, twitter, instagram, and pinterest.

So, this is not only an idea for solely the disabled but also for the those who support and care for them.

I think we all have a lot to learn from each other and would really love your input!

Thanks!

-Anthony

Attachment dadandi.jpg not found

ablehere.com- if this is borderlining your underwriting please let me know but first I want to make clear that is an absolute non profit project and strictly academic. your support is be graciously appreciated and all information taken with this thread will be well cited and link to your forum.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds