logolong

different challenges between being born with a disability, or onset later in lif

More
10 months 1 week ago #72575 by lrn2give
My name is charlie baker, I had a stroke when I was 54, I had a wonderful life, very active, athletic, successful in business and in a split second everything crashed, I was in a hospital 3 months. my idea of recovery was returning to my old way of life. the first day out of the hospital was the worst in my life. I fell twice at home. when we went to bed, I could not move, no control over anything. I wept all night. I told my wife the man she married, was no longer alive, she should move on make a new life. I don't know why but she stayed everything was hard it took several years to accept that life as I knew it was over, then I could start to work on making this new reality the best I could. I am still trying!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #72577 by BUBBADOG14
When my health got bad and I found out I would be in a wheelchair I told my husband to divorce me and I said it agaun recently when I found out I was losing my sight. He said when I vowed in sickness and in health I'm going no where! I'm still learning how to be me but the one thing that hasn't changed is my sense of humour so find that one little nugget inside of you and hold on to it because when your body got sick it didn't change all of you.
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by BUBBADOG14. Reason: spelling

More
10 months 1 week ago #72579 by lrn2give
Bubbadog, I preceive you are worth sticking around for Thank God for old fashioned convictions
Blessings my dear

More
10 months 1 week ago #72580 by bigman
I had the privilege of having polio at age 2 years. Completely paralyzed at the first, do not remember much about that, by age of 6 years was able to walk the 5 short blocks to school, in a small town just outside Winnipeg. Since then have / had a normal life as possible, walked with crutches and braces till age 60, retired from my work after 22 1/2 years with the same organization. In a manual wheelchair now, have traveled to Thailand ( on my own) Mexico and Hong Kong in wheelchair with my partner. Married twice, most recent partner and I are 27 years together. Have only one child as far as I know.
My point, work with what you have and allow your partner to decide what he or she would like their future to look like. Most would hang in there with you and adapt to your abilities and disabilities. In our house we share chores, example I am the sue chef, dust furniture, clean washroom, to name a few.
Challenge yourself everyday

More
10 months 1 week ago #72584 by lrn2give
Hello bigman, glad to hear from you. I come here to readjust my attitude, perspectives. in the day to day struggle, I can all too easily fall into pity and whining.

More
10 months 1 week ago #72585 by bigman
I have very rare days of feeling sorry for myself, where does that get me? It's not easy, work what you can achieve no matter how small the outcome of that thing you attempted. Kick some butt.

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds