logolong

Double Amputeeism

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #46703 by sue
Double Amputeeism was created by sue
Hi all

My name's Susan, my friends call me Sue. I was involved in a serious car crash a while back, surgeons had to amputate both legs in order for me to live. I would love to talk to anybody Male or Female. I am still trying to come to terms with my disability. Please is there anyone out there that can make me laugh again
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by sue. Reason: not finished

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #46709 by Jana
Replied by Jana on topic Re: Double Amputeeism
Hello, Sue, and Welcome! I live in the US. I came to this forum for support, as my regular chat room disbanded, and I have had that and a good time here so far. I love the drndl you are wearing in your picture! Very pretty! There is quite a variety of people in this forum and so far I have found them to be kind and funny and a wonderful bunch! I'm glad you are here!

Jana

More
11 years 2 months ago #46720 by Karl
Replied by Karl on topic Re: Double Amputeeism
Hi Sue

Welcome to Able Here Family

I bet I can make you laugh again

Karl

More
11 years 2 months ago #46868 by Josie
Replied by Josie on topic Re: Double Amputeeism
Hi! I became disabled due to an injury, too. Before that, I was a teacher, runner and very independent. This past year has been an incredible emotional journey for myself. The best thing I can compare it to is the steps of grief when someone passes away. You go through denial, bargaining, acceptance and then back and forth depending on the day. Almost all my other friends stopped hanging out with me. There is this mentality of "well, call us when you are healed and we will get together and go do something". People don't want to be bothered to be with someone who has to use a walker or a wheelchair. Society is cruel. So...damn...cruel. To say this experience has been humbling and eye opening is an understatement. I've had someone try to run me over because it took me too long to try and cross the street. I just want to scream at people and say, "You are one injury away from being exactly where I am. One slip. One fall. You are no better than me."

More
11 years 2 months ago #46869 by Exyeti
Replied by Exyeti on topic Re: Double Amputeeism
Josie,
I'm with you on everything you say! Mine is just my right wrist and hand after an accident.
Since i've not been able to ride motorbikes or do the stuff i used to do, my friends have all but faded away.
Very humbling and frightening at times!!

Neil.

More
11 years 2 months ago #46939 by sue
Replied by sue on topic Re: Double Amputeeism
Hi Josie
I agree with everything you say. what I find most fustrating in wether I am out with someone or am out in my wheelchair alone, people will insist in talking to my legs, or should I say the lack of them, rather that look me in the eye and talk to my face. how do you find it and deal with it?

Sue

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds