logolong

Gardening for disabled. Interested? Amateur.

More
8 years 8 months ago #58985 by riversidemarie
I'm new to disability but I have always loved gardening. Only got a small garden but would like to share with you tips and strategies and what I have been able to do. I realise each will have their own limitations health wise and budget wise and garden wise or not. Can still garden indoors to an extent. As winter approaches and Christmas think of gifts and Spring next year. I find it always shortens the winter and have always found it fascinating that life springs from old brown earth. Any one interested or got good tips or interested in submitting ideas and tips. Go to forum and share your ideas. Hope springs eternal -a play on words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #59015 by riversidemarie
Will as you are the one who has shown any interrest have tagged it on to what looks like very old gardening site blog. For your delectation a few thoughts on gardening for the disabled - tongue in cheek and knowing this site in installments! Well where do we begin? A name : The Naked Gardener! Raises expectations for the garden next year and the neighbours. Do not have potted plants, spillinng over every surface. No juicy Jungles. You want to appear needy, very needy - you want help! A gasping died out cactus should suffice. The sort of person you want passing the portals is the type who bought their Christmas cards in January in the sales and then proceeded throughout the year to bargain hunt suitable presents. All beautifully wrapped tthat youu don't want, don't like and will probably recycle next year.Start waxing lyrical over sexy secateurs, triumphant trowels and splendid spades.That you are desperate to have, in fact your very life depends upon them.Got the Message.No don't ask for a heated greenhouse. This is pushing friendship too far and we are only just out of a recession!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Will

More
8 years 8 months ago #59065 by BUBBADOG14
I will look into it and see if I can find anything on disabled gardeners on the inter-web.

More
8 years 8 months ago #59096 by riversidemarie
There are loads of sites for amateurs but not a lot for disabled. Encompasses too many! But at this time of the year think bulbs. Lots in the shops and nurserries and they will want to rid the shelves prior to Christmas - groan! Or Bonfire Night and Halloween! Groan! Daffodils, narcissi,grape hyacinth, snowdrops, crocus,- small ones- daffs -jonquil and tete a tete plus hyacinnth. The laterr can be grown indoors. I use pots and containers because they can moveed round the garden and house. Outside I used multi-purpose compost and cheap earth packs if you are starting from scratch. Or the normal garden provided it has been turned over if impacted from Summer planting. Depending on your budget you can mulch or mix any sort of enricher left. I use up anything left from Summer 'cos it tends to get damp in my shed. I havve to rely on a friend now for the main garden but it will depend on individuals and your individual abilities. Pots need drainage and small sones or grrit at the bottom. Mostt people can find some in their acttual garden.

More
8 years 8 months ago #59097 by riversidemarie
Plant the bulbs in groups not touching the sides of the container. As a rule of thumb the bigger the bulb the deeper it needs to go. At least 2 to 3 times depth, usually narrow top up. Make sure the bulbs are firm and free from mould! Gently firm down soil and if it's dry water. Remember bulbs are poisonous to children and pets. In containers make sure the small bulbs are on the outside and in the garden, small ones are at front and tall to the back. In containers you can layer them up frrom the bottom - ttulips first, then daffs, narcissi, and then near the top tete a tete,jonquil, muscari, crocus and snowdrops - any combination provided large to small. Indoors I grow heat-treated hyacinth bulbs and small daffodils in pots. I do use bulb fibre for this and you can use just fine grit. Put grit or bulb fibre in the container two thirds up to the top. Water. Place the bulbs with bottom third into the compost or grit and firm round. Place in the dark - airing cupboard etc.

More
8 years 8 months ago #59098 by riversidemarie
When the green leaves show above the surface about 2-3 inches bring them into the light. Remember if you have a warm house to keep damp and by Christmas you should have blooms. Obviously in the garden it will be longer and it will depend on the shelter in your garden or where you live but by early spring to spring you should see the frruits of your labours. Beautiful blooms from brown earth. It helps shorten the winter months!

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds