logolong

anti depressants a waste of time ??

More
16 years 2 months ago #2152 by suzan
im finding it interesting that further to this governments announcement that it will be greatly increasing funding and availability of psychological ,talking, therapies, that these items are getting mainstream allocation in the news.

yes, we need more talking therapies.

no, we dont need reporting like this which is taken from a study of 47 people.

if your antidepressant is helping you, please dont just stop taking it because srticles like this are published in mainstream press, and please do ask your gp regarding referral for psychological support and therapy.....there are many people who are taking antidepressants and the more people who ask for reffal to this new nhs provision, the quicker ir will be up and running.

uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080226/tuk-antid...rking-dba1618_2.html

uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080226/tuk-...-time-6323e80_3.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #2153 by Scott_1984
Hiya Suzan :)

Well my Antidepressants aren't in that list, although I was first put on: Prozac on: Monday 03rd of March 2003 & The 20 mg's of: Prozac made me feel even Worse/Depressed/Low & Suicidal, So I had to come off Prozac & was put on around 10 mg's Cipralex Escitalopram, Which was slowly increased: 40 mg's a day in August 2004 by my Local Hospital/Consultant Psychiatrists & Family G.P. Doctor R.P. Tahalani.

I agree we need more Counselling/Talking Therapies & funding for these types of treatments.

An List Of: Talking Therapies/Counselling For Mental Health/Depression: www.ablehere.com/component/option,com_jo...iew/id,1508/catid,49

Antidepressants: www.ablehere.com/component/option,com_jo...view/id,854/catid,49

BBC News Article/Story: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7263494.stm

More
16 years 2 months ago #2154 by Scott_1984
BBC News Article/Story:Why are we in love with happy pills?:The effectiveness of anti-depressants is being questioned - this comes after prescriptions have hit record levels. Why are we so in love with happy pills?: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7264460.stm

More
16 years 2 months ago #2168 by Scott_1984
Psychiatrists urge people to consult their doctor before stopping antidepressants: www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pressparliament/pressreleases2006/pr990.aspx

The Royal College of Psychiatrists has urged people taking antidepressants not to discontinue their medication without consulting a doctor.

NICE guidelines point to the efficacy of antidepressants as well as cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT)for people with moderate to severe depression.

Many studies have shown that a combination of medication and psychotherapy has been particularly effective.

Professor Sheila Hollins, President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, said \"We are studying the recent findings from the Department of Psychology at the University of Hull carefully.

The researchers claim to have obtained a full set of research data for the first time, and they should be commended for achieving this.

But we must stress that anyone currently taking antidepressants should first contact their own doctor before considering stopping their medication, as is the case with any form of prescribed medication.\"

More
16 years 2 months ago #2169 by suzan
suzan wrote:

if your antidepressant is helping you, please dont just stop taking it because srticles like this are published in mainstream press, and please do ask your gp regarding referral for psychological support and therapy.....there are many people who are taking antidepressants and the more people who ask for reffal to this new nhs provision, the quicker ir will be up and running.

i havent seen anything in the press re how the new talking therapies are to be introduced, or where or even when. as i understood it the money is starting to be released from this year. has anyone seen anything on this?

suzan xx....................:)

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds