logolong

health tourists./foreign influx weighs down NHS

More
15 years 7 months ago #8700 by suzan
uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080911/tuk-f...own-nhs-45dbed5.html

The NHS is having to cope with the large influx of foreign migrants without extra funding, Sky News has learned.

Despite foreign workers paying tax on the income they earn, the money has not been used to boost public services in the areas with the greatest migration.

An estimated 20,000 migrants have moved to Peterborough in the last four years to work. That is a 15% rise in the city's population.

Many of them have come from countries that have recently joined the European Union. They are entitled to free NHS care.

Almost 200 babies are year a born to Eastern European mothers at the hospital.

And GPs complain that consultations involving a telephone translator take two or even three times longer than normal.

Local MP Stewart Jackson said funding for local NHS services is based on the headcount in the 2001 census, before the surge in economic migrants.

\"We need fair funding for places like Peterborough, which is expected to deliver 21st Century healthcare to everyone who asks for it.\"

The local primary care trust has channelled more money into maternity care to help the hospital cope with the extra births.

But plans to revamp GP surgeries have been put on hold.

And infertile couples will have to wait until next year to get the three attempts at IVF that they're supposed to have.

\"Because we have an integrated health and social care system here we have made savings in areas not possible in other PCTs. That has enabled us to free up resources, and target those resources at areas of greatest need.\"

Iwona Chodzicka says the Polish community has been unfairly blamed for the Government's failure to spend the tax they pay on extra public services.

\"They do contribute to the economy like everyone else. Everybody should be entitled to healthcare if they work here and pay their taxes,\" she said.

There are complex rules on the entitlement of foreigners to NHS care.

Free treatment is given to those from countries that are in the European Union, and countries that have reciprocal healthcare agreements with Britain.

Refugees and asylum seekers are also entitled to free NHS care.

But illegal immigrants and health tourists who specifically come to Britain for treatment have to pay - unless it is treatment for an emergency, or for sexually transmitted or infectious diseases that might put the rest of the population at risk.

Not all debts are collected. Sky News has established under the Freedom of Information Act that the Department of Health had to write off more than £5m in treatment costs last year for patients who should have paid, but could not or would not.

At University College Hospital in London Dr Maggie Blott encounters 44 languages on the maternity ward.

But she says it is not up to her to check whether women are entitled to free NHS treatment.

\"I have a duty of care to my patients,\" she said.

\"When a woman presents in labour she is an emergency and is entitled to care. There are processes that work very well within the hospital to recoup costs of women who are not entitled to care.\"

A recent High Court ruling has caused further confusion within the NHS over who is entitled to free care.

It means failed asylum seekers must be given free care until they are deported.

Medical charity Medact estimates between 200,000 and half a million would be affected by ruling.

The Government has yet to decide whether it will appeal to the House of Lords.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Local MP Stewart Jackson said funding for local NHS services is based on the headcount in the 2001 census, before the surge in economic migrants.

:angry: :angry: oh yes this seems right...thanks Gordon et al for really caring about us all !!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #8706 by
Its no wonder the NHS has become a bottomless Pit for taxpayers cash.....Even the Doctors shirk responsibilities with comments like...Its not up to me to check...If some illegal from what TB or Aids or Plague, God-Forsaken Hole, decides to take the Michael out of All of Us and get thousands of pounds worth of Free Attention...For which they have paid..NOTHING...
My question to the doctor...Whos wages US Taxpayers Pay.....In which case..WHO Is ?????
There is no doubt in my mind that we will see the abolition of the NHS and the return to Private treatment.....Not due to the people it was set-up for...But the SCOUNGERS....or Thieves as I prefer to call them....<br><br>Post edited by: tonypark, at: 2008/09/11 14:09

More
15 years 7 months ago #8778 by ducky
sadly I agree the NHS will slowly fade out..when it was first set up it was a UK NHS. now it's a WORLD WIDE NHS

More
15 years 7 months ago #8780 by Dorrie
I agree when my granddaughter was on holiday abroad and became unwell,my son had to prove he could pay before they would treat her. We are too soft in this country.:angry: :angry:

More
15 years 7 months ago #8790 by Posh
And now a quick word from an \&quot;illegal immigrant\&quot;
(Yep, came over to UK in 1955 and sorta stayed, but still not a British Citizen, legally)

I have to pay for any NHS or other, treatment. Or I don't get it! And that INCLUDES emergency treatment.

More
15 years 7 months ago #8792 by suzan
blimey posh....since 1955??.........thats really awful for you.:(

yes...and you have worked and paid taxes here, i believe?......AND THOSE TAXES HAVE NOT BEEN PUT INTO THE NHS...:angry: :angry:

when someone is contributing to our society and country, why should they not be entitled to free health care?????............the government dont want to put the taxes there thats why!!

government is seriously flawed , and seems it has been for many years....

now another thought.....many workers here from outside the EU...changes to visa regs coming in....many those workers now not entitled to renew.............many jobs done by workers of EU,eastern...they also sending money to their families back home....BUT the pound is low and the euro is strong..now many can earn good money back in their country!!...so will seee an outflux of workers back to their member country............leaving us in a situation with many jobs vacancies...and we know that these are jobs many of which are in the low paid caring industries......:blink: :blink: burble burble:blink:

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds