logolong

Power chairs - mobility aid or obstruction?

More
16 years 6 months ago #753 by fleckie
Hello all,

There is an interesting new post over on the independent living blog, from Chris Povey, who is really questioning the suitability of current power chairs to meet users' needs. They seem to be getting bigger and heavier, with lots of clever features, but perhaps they're not so easy to get around in?

It would be great to hear from anybody else who has a view on the subject! It's very easy to add your own comments - just click the comment button at bottom of the post.

Here's a link to the blog:

www.independentlivingjournal.co.uk/

Best wishes

Frances

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #762 by Mystery-Man
Two of my doctors suggested that I should be using a wheelchair, and one of them even offer to give me a prescription to get a free electric one with all the bells and whistles. I turned them all down. So what if I am in a little bit of pain when I ambulate. So what if I move a bit slower. It ain't gonna kill me, ya know. I told my doctors that I would much rather get a free coffin instead. They didn't find that amusing. :laugh:

More
16 years 6 months ago #763 by Karl
There are lightweight powered chairs on the market but they do not look very stable.

i have a spirit sunrise medical wheelchair.. its ok a bit heavy. Its narrow, good for pub toilets.. The chair is too high to fit my knees under the tables.. The chair frame is solid.

The control boxes on any chair are too weak for me. Im too strong for them.

More
16 years 6 months ago #764 by Karl
There are lightweight powered chairs on the market but they do not look very stable.

i have a spirit sunrise medical wheelchair.. its ok a bit heavy. Its narrow, good for pub toilets.. The chair is too high to fit my knees under the tables.. The chair frame is solid.

The control boxes on any chair are too weak for me. Im too strong for them.

More
16 years 6 months ago #938 by skipper
true, pwr chairs do keep getting heavier...but what choice do many of us have. uh...none

More
16 years 6 months ago #954 by suzan
DAEMONICUSMEDICUS wrote:

Two of my doctors suggested that I should be using a wheelchair, and one of them even offer to give me a prescription to get a free electric one with all the bells and whistles. I turned them all down. So what if I am in a little bit of pain when I ambulate. So what if I move a bit slower. It ain't gonna kill me, ya know. I told my doctors that I would much rather get a free coffin instead. They didn't find that amusing. :laugh:

Yes i understand your feelings on this...its a difficult decision to make.....
A few years back my legs andd arms were givingg out, and i was offered a chair,(not motorised), knowing that i may need it in the future and knowing the long waiting lists to get anything like this in our NHS, i agreed....
It was a very difficult step to take for me, and my son was very young at the time and didnt understand my illhealth at all...so together we learnt how to fold and use the chair..... he pushed me in the street and we discovered the problems on the pavements and kerbs together...and also the reactions of my neighbours.............
well i got to the stage where i had no use of my hands or arms or legs about 4months later.... boy was i happy that i had,had time for myself andd everyone around me to get used to the idea.........
Now ive been very lucky in that massive doses of corticosteroids etc worked, and ive taught myself to have much use regained.... i dont use a chair very often........but i cant maintain a grip on a walking stick at all......
when im feeling rough, people just think im drunk.....sad, cos i cant drink....xcept at xmas of course :)

xx suzan xx

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds