logolong

I'm not an inspirational cripple

More
9 years 4 months ago #56068 by BUBBADOG14
Whenever I go on holiday people come up to me and say 'I just want to say your amazing being disabled and happy your such an inspiration to people' I just look at them like they have lost their mind and say 'I'm on holiday of course I'm going to be happy aren't you?' It's like if your disabled and happy is a strange thing, why can't we be happy and disabled?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #56075 by Tomrymer
Why do people feel the need to approach strangers with an obvious physical impairment and make comments and suggestion? A sense of self-importance generating the need to assert themselves as kind to cripples is my preferred reason at this time.
What would the world say about someone who responded by saying I wonder how you look so happy with such an ugly face!?!

More
9 years 4 months ago #56081 by Karl
I do get a lot of strangers coming up to me thinking I am stupid and they talk to me like a baby. I am use to this so I just smile and carry on as I am not very understandable when I am talking.

More
9 years 4 months ago #56098 by Sandie
Scott gets people talking over his head when I'm with him
It used to get him really angry now I tell them"You better
ask Scott" it seems to work :)

More
8 years 8 months ago #58422 by Will

Able_Here_Team wrote: The media makes out the disabled to be inspirational and happy people who don't have a care in the world.

www.ablehere.com/videos-of-disabled-peop...ational-cripple.html

Are disabled people "Inspirational"? Not automatically. But our section of society is no different to the able-bodied one, in that, statistcally there must be a few 'good ones' amongst us. I've only been 'part' of the disabled 'world' for a relatively short time, and reading some of the profiles on this site I know that I am one of the 'lucky' ones. Many people deal with or overcome greater problems than my own. If I'm having a bad day or feeling a bit sorry for myself, I can at least take courage from those 'doers', 'copers' and 'livers of life'. I think we should also take into account the "There but for the grace of God / (good fortune) go I" factor. Some people who don't have a disability themselves nor ever interacted with people who do, may be unable to even imagine what it is like to be "a bit different". That is a very scary thing for some. When I was in hospital after my 'Op' , a young man who was visiting his grandmother came over and began asking me questions. I told him the facts. When I finished he shook his head and said, "I feel so sorry for you...". Err thanks! Also in hospital, I loved scooting around the beautifully wide, flat, corridors - I even became 'expert' at zipping through heavy double doors, not that difficult once I got the knack. Some people (nurses included) thought this was a wonderful trick - ("Poor old guy, tries so hard, bless him..."). I may have "inspired" one or two!

More
8 years 8 months ago #58424 by Sandie
I went out with a really good looking sexy guy who was confined to a wheelchair it made no difference he was just as ablebodied as other guys I had dated his knee was always a safe perch for me, its how you perceive yourself I look at the man not the disability, he came in really handy if I had one drink to many.

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds