logolong

New to the Forum

More
8 years 4 months ago #60395 by Daylight
New to the Forum was created by Daylight
Hello everyone.

My name is Dawn, & I just discovered this forum.

I'm a business professional who's having to re-learn how to navigate through the world, now that I'm severely physically disabled.

I have multiple disabilities, most stemming from what started out as 'pinched nerves', but rapidly became permanent severe nerve damage, complete with the resultant loss of hand/finger dexterity, paralysis of my hands, near zero arm strength, & related issues. The nerves are still pinched so the damage, & pain, are ongoing.

If anyone has tips, tricks, or ideas on how to navigate not only physically through the world (when you can't open most doors by yourself), but also how to navigate the social/political minefield that being a disabled employee can be, I'd love to hear them!

For instance, how do you communicate to new people/colleagues that to accept a lunch invitation, you need to go somewhere accessible? And not just the front door being automatic, but also the restrooms? And the food that's served there needs to be something I can physically eat, too (I may never eat soup, or steak, again).

I appreciate any advice or tips anyone can offer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #60400 by riversidemarie
Replied by riversidemarie on topic New to the Forum
I don't work now but I do experience some of your difficulties. Prior to any lunch/dinner I ring ahead and check out access and toilet facilities. If they are not in place I let the person/persons know and explain succinctly why I cannot attend and maybe suggest another venue. I now need to eat American style, especially if the shaking is bad. I am still able cut up my food and I will say this, when ordering. I also go on line and check out the menu to see if there is suitable food to eat. I usually have fish because it's easier to cut and eat. I ask for water to be served in a large wine glass because I find this easier to hold. Small cups and saucers are a problem. At home I use a mug. Obviously you cannot be so prescriptive but I wish you well. I have found, generally speaking, a positive experience and most people are helpful. If they are not I do not return and quietly point out why. As an older person I do not need to work butt for the younger disabled it is important for society generally to cater for them and leggally meet their requirements, long term. You probably have stricter parameters to work in re your profession and the demands of it I have been disabled for a year and it has certainly been a steep learning curve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daylight

More
8 years 4 months ago #60408 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic New to the Forum
Hi Daylight, welcome to the site, I can't advise on employment as I'm from the U.K but we do have a large group of members from the U.S so they can advise you on that. As for going out socially, you can get adapted cutlery online that may help when going out. And it does help phoning ahead to restaurants or other places to make sure they are adapted for disabled customers. I hope this advise is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daylight

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds