logolong

Stem Cells - new poll

More
16 years 10 months ago #476 by Able_Here_Team
We have added a new poll on the front page about Stem cells.

Stem cells have the remarkable potential to develop into many different cell types in the body. Serving as a sort of repair system for the body, they can theoretically divide without limit to replenish other cells as long as the person or animal is still alive. When a stem cell divides, each new cell has the potential to either remain a stem cell or become another type of cell with a more specialized function, such as a muscle cell, a red blood cell, or a brain cell.

What are the risks?

A major consequence of stem-cell transplants is suppression of the immune system, which means the body's defense mechanisms are completely wiped out. Therefore, the common cold or a normally harmless virus could lead to a serious, and even life-threatening, infection. To ward against this, hospitalization is required until all treatment is completed, but this doesn't insure protection against infection or other complications.

In addition, there is a risk that the transplanted cells will not repopulate successfully. This could mean that you can be left with no or a partially effective immune system.

Because of these risks, death occurs in five to 15 percent of all stem-cell transplants.

Give us your comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #477 by jumbly
Replied by jumbly on topic Re:Stem Cells - new poll
The potential benefits of stem cell treatments in the future will be very exciting I think but until more research has been done and reliable, trustworthy procedures have been proven to work, it's too risky. Also, given the high incidence of hospital acquired infections these days you'd really be putting yourself in a very vulnerable position. In fact I'd be very worried about hospitalisation at the moment even wthout having my immune system wiped out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds