logolong

wheelchair accessible taxis

More
7 years 5 months ago #63432 by riversidemarie
I, too, let the taxi firms know that I may be using a rollator but taxis should have disabled access. The ones that you hail. I recently visited a solicitor whose secretary said they were disabled friendly. There were no ramps, the toilets could not be used by rollator and certainly not by a wheelchair and to add insult to injury he had booked me into an upstairs room and expected me to struggle up the stairs. I was made to feel a nuisance when I declined on health grounds. Needless to say I am making an official complaint. There are disability laws and if you state that you have disability access then you should. It is not a case of cherry picking and it wastes valuable time! I'm sick of the places who advertise that they are disabled friendly only to find narrow walkways and miniscule toilet access. We are disabled not contortionists!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #63434 by Rhythmsand
There needs to be more understanding when it comes to access, I agree. There needs to be more truly accessible transport solutions....it is ridiculous that people need to sue or complain especially when it is said they are accessible.

I have heard stories in which buildings have been designed to be accessible...but once built the truth of the accessibility is a laugh. In one instance someone could not get their wheel chair into the elevator far less travel up it due to a design failure to give enough turning space.....

Locally in my own area I notice there is a new medical center that has been built in the past few years it has a ramp which is fine and really good accessibility....the wierd thing is that the stairs are angled instead of going straight up the sid...so when a man with partial vision tries to climb them he gets in deep trouble....thius is not a huge issue but it is horribly annoyiung and something people who design these buildings overlook...they have tactile stuff and rails but the stairs always get me....

This makes me wonder a little.....does anyone know if there is a review site out there for buildings access.....so that if individuals want to use a given taxi service or access a given building they can look them yo and find out what others say about ....

More
7 years 5 months ago #63435 by Rhythmsand
definately complain.... It is an issue ...firstly that people do not comprehend....our situation as persons with disability...few do...and secondly that the building did not have the appropriate accessibility for you....

toilets are a really important thing to get right ....it is embarrassing enough being disabled...

More
7 years 5 months ago #63436 by Rhythmsand
absolutely....I apologise for my hasty response...yes trues discrimination ...I do believe you have a good claim there...

there needs to be way more understanding....way more accessibility...things are changing....once people simply stayed at home....ahh I tend to because cabs are so expensive....it cost me about 180 dollats to get to town and home again and we waited two hours for the cab to come....I cant be bothered ...haha

but we as disabled people need to get out and be counted...it is important...

More
7 years 5 months ago #63442 by BUBBADOG14
I believe all companies should be tested on whether they are suitable for disabled people, good access, disabled toilets,lifts ect. Like a health and safety certificate and if you fail you should be fined. It's the 20th Century for god sake!! All companies and social places should supply good disabled access if the disabled person can't get upstairs and there is no lift then the person should come to them by law and have offices put downstairs or a lift fitted. If not a on the spot fine and given a month to rectify the problem. That would give these companies a rocket up their arses to correct the problem. And if they are visited again and it's still not been done then they are given another fine but it's an increased fine and every month the problem isn't rectified an increased fine. That should frighten them enough to get there premises made disabled friendly!!

More
7 years 5 months ago #63456 by Karl
Replied by Karl on topic wheelchair accessible taxis

Rhythmsand wrote: toilets are a really important thing to get right ....it is embarrassing enough being disabled...

Why do you think its embarrassing being disabled?

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds