logolong

Advice needed re WHEELCHAIR BREAKDOWN RECOVERY

More
7 years 9 months ago #62612 by ladyship
I'd like to hear from other wheelchair users re WHEELCHAIR RECOVERY BREAKDOWN services. I travel - in the UK, I don't drive and recently was in Lancaster, where I find out the so called breakdown and recovery service is linited to 15 miles!!!
What are the realistic options for someone with no car, wheelie broke down and you HAVE to get it back home when you are miles away??
Is there an AA for wheelchairs?

Anyone got realistic experience of travel, please rreply!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62619 by BUBBADOG14
The only wheelchair recovery I know of is like me your wheelchair is supplied by Occupational Therapy, then you get it serviced every 12 months. I have a second wheelchair my 'holiday' chair (which I brought myself) so that isn't covered by anything so if something breaks it's up to me to get it fixed. The best type of wheelchair you can buy is a wheelchair with mag wheels. There solid wheels that don't puncture and I've added an example to show you. I use these as my 'holiday wheelchair' as they are heavy duty and the wheels can't get punctured!! I hope this helps a little.

www.amazon.co.uk/Pandamoto-Puncture-Port...id=1470041007&sr=1-4

More
7 years 9 months ago #62623 by Karl
You could phone for a wheelchair accessible taxi.

I am taking my electric wheelchair on a plane this year for the first time. lets hope I dont breakdown on holiday. I will be taking spare footrests and control box.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62624 by ladyship
thanks Bubba, it wasn't the wheels. Karl - I was quoted £129 to get me from Lancaster to Telford.
As you can imagine, NOT jumping at that thought.
Just if anyone has experience of breaking down MILES from home and how you got home. Finding insurance companies no so bloody helpful.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62628 by BUBBADOG14
Silly me! :blush: Anyway found this for you, might be worth taking a look at:-

www.vehiclebreakdown.org.uk/wheelchair.html

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds