logolong

UK heatwave

More
6 years 10 months ago #65326 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic UK heatwave
Got a fan downstairs and a fan upstairs, we have removed the quilt and sleeping on cotton sheets and I'm in a short P.J set. Phil has put up the window trellises up so the windows can be opened fully ( he made them a few years ago they are a god send at this time of year!) (I've told him he should pattern them and sell them as I think people would snap them up). The cats are trying their best to keep cool by finding shady area's to lye down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #66883 by Joelyb65
Replied by Joelyb65 on topic UK heatwave
Don't get me wrong my Dear UK friends, I have European ancestry and I'm not good with the heat, but what you call a heatwave, is a mild Summers day here in Australia!
I think the hottest day I've ever had to cope with was 45 degrees celcius, and I was working in a shop that copped the full afternoon sun thru the windows and NO air conditioning!
I begged the boss for years to put in an air con, but it never happened!
We had packets of candles that melted and I almost did the same!
We had an elderly woman customer who had 1 lung and relied on an oxygen bottle, come in looking for candles because her electricity had gone off and the electrician couldn't come until Wednesday the following week, and I thought, "No, this poor old, Dear isn't going to last out today in this heat, let alone till Wed next week, she needs her air con and she needs her fridge working or all her food will go off!'
I asked her if she had the old type of fusebox and she said Yes, so I went and rewired the fuse myself!
I'm sad to say that she did pass away shortly after that, but at least she got a bit more time and didn't die from the heat!
I've found that the older I get, the less I can cope with the heat, and now during Summer, I'm actually glad that I am on a Disability Pension and don't have to leave the house and my air con unless it's absolutely necessary, and even then, I don't stay out for long!
Having disabilities can actually have it's perks!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds