logolong

Agnostic/Atheist

More
9 years 1 day ago #57296 by Jina
Replied by Jina on topic Agnostic/Atheist
You're right, yet many are hard to be led away from the bible even if they read it throughout dozens of times. I was raised to believe the bible is true. Even though I encountered some nonsenses while reading, I didn't consider them errors but I considered them mysteries beyond my depth. So I totally understand how come believers can stay peaceful in some nonsenses, and I have a lot respects to the true believers, who try hard to follow somewhat harsh disciplines, who walk the walk of god's words.
Tough most of my family members are believers I can't even try to expose my honest idea about the bible. It's gonna seriously hurt them, and as far as I'm concerned, I was happier when I was with god than now where there is no place to rely on completely, no willing to forgive, no reason to love whomever I don't want to..too many to write down here. For that reason I remain silent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Overdrive, Ian70

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 17 hours ago #57301 by Tomrymer
Replied by Tomrymer on topic Agnostic/Atheist
Jina, how many ex-believers hide the truth from friends and family I wonder? I suspect that it happens many times. The social aspect of religious adherence is more important to people than is acknowledged but being part of a group for many promotes a feeling of well-being. This has a tendency to be more relevant to their lives than any rational truth could ever be.
Your circumstances mean that it would be dangerous to your state of mind to reveal your lack of faith and I can empathise with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jina

More
9 years 8 hours ago #57305 by Jina
I agree with you. I'd rather bite my tongue than lose relationships
Humans are social animals however they claim that they are not.

More
9 years 1 hour ago #57319 by Sandie
Replied by Sandie on topic Agnostic/Atheist
God is different things to different people, does he exsist who knows.

More
8 years 11 months ago #57322 by Tomrymer
Replied by Tomrymer on topic Agnostic/Atheist
Sandie, am I right in assuming you mean the Abrahamic God worshipped by Christian, Muslim and Jew? There have been so many gods sincerely believed in throughout the history of Homo sapiens which are now discarded and discounted. Christianity is split into many differing denominations each arguing that there interpretation of scripture is the only true word of God.
Deism is the natural alternative for those who reject dogma, revelation and miracle: God is inferred by what its adherents believe to be reason and the observing of the natural world rather than an appeal to the supernatural.
Jina, perhaps a Deist perspective is what you mean by holding on to a belief in a God? If so and if this comforts and sustains you now that you have rejected the bible fine, many atheists start their journey with a similar belief.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jina

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #57336 by Jina
Tom, Since English is not my language, I might misunderstand things you intended.
As for your asking, I didn't know Deism before, but now I grab a little bit thanks to you, and I am willing to research more of it. Because it's concept gives me hope that I might not be a failing believer, but I might be one of those creatures eager to seek truth, I thought I hung at the end of the rope, but I see, to which another rope was linked. Deism accepts existence of god who doesn't involve in human's life, yeah, he doesn't give any miracles, supernatural things to humans, not to mention that he never involved in writing any bibles. But still I infer his existence in nature like a deist. He was always there as he ever was. That's all I wanted to know, and it means a lot to me giving me comfort.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Jina.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian70

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds