logolong

How does disability affect people?

More
7 years 10 months ago #61964 by Able_Here_Team
How does disability affect people?

Imagine not being able to see. Or not being able to walk. Think of all the things that would be different.

School: How can I get my education? What about my future?

Friends: Would they still want to hang out? Will strangers laugh at me in the street?

Snogs: Am I still sexy? Who will date me now?

Life: What can I do on my gap year? Can I get my own place? What job can I do?

Clearly having a disability can affect most things in a person's life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #61969 by riversidemarie
I too find disability as a challenge having become disabled late in life. I don't share the angst of youth but I do share the frustrations and the preconceived ideas of some people who equate being disabled with being "brain Dead" Communication and the ability to laugh at some of the ludricous situations I sometimes find myself in helps. Some will always be antisocial and avert their eyes but I have met some wonderful people only too willing to help and yes ask questions about how I cope with the nitty gritty of life. I refuse to be beaten and some have told me that helping out, provided it is acceptable makes them feel good too. Hopefully sometimes I am an ambassador and point out barriers to the disabled being able to really live in the "real world". Yes sometimes it falls on deaf ears but I quietly insist on access. There will always be ignorant people, whether you are normal or disabled but never fade into the bacckground or apologise for your condition. We did not ask for it. It was thrust upon us . Enjoy life, laugh lots and have a good time.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #61977 by BUBBADOG14
When I was 1st told by my Consultant that my health was on the demise and I would eventually end up permanently needing a wheelchair I was devastated, I even told my husband to divorce me(He didn't!). Knowing I couldn't have children and my life was over I found this site. I lost all my old friends, if I saw them in the street they would walk quickly to lose me. But now I have better new friends! But being on this site taught me my life wasn't over, Instead of thinking I won't be able to go dancing or go to a theme park, I found new places to enjoy that are disabled friendly, I still go to concerts and actually get better seats! I think not going dancing is a good thing I have to left feet!!

So it's not the end of your life, it's the beginning of a new you.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by BUBBADOG14. Reason: added some more!
The following user(s) said Thank You: riversidemarie

More
7 years 9 months ago #62216 by ladyship
I'm on an MS forum and what we say there (there are many younger folks who, newly diagnosed, think the world has ended) is "MS doesn't mean you can't do stuff. It just means you have to do it differently.
So AFTER I was diagnosed, I finished a degree as a mature student, did gardening, did na NVQ in Conservation. Times rolled on and I could not do that now. But disability does not mean an end to love, life, sex, shopping, friends. Even drinking and dancing. YOU JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT DIFFERENT WAYs

More
7 years 9 months ago #62224 by BUBBADOG14

ladyship wrote: I'm on an MS forum and what we say there (there are many younger folks who, newly diagnosed, think the world has ended) is "MS doesn't mean you can't do stuff. It just means you have to do it differently.
So AFTER I was diagnosed, I finished a degree as a mature student, did gardening, did na NVQ in Conservation. Times rolled on and I could not do that now. But disability does not mean an end to love, life, sex, shopping, friends. Even drinking and dancing. YOU JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT DIFFERENT WAYs

I boogie in my wheelchair, move it left to right! People look at me as if I've lost it but it's my way of dancing! There are wheelchair dancing classes I've seen them advertised and seen them on telly but there move barn dancing type of things which don't interest me.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62243 by ladyship
I had a go at wheelchair dancing at MS Life - loved it!! Check out some of the videos on you tube --SO not barn dancing!!
However mines an electic so having one hand occupied steering kinda throw me off balance
this is a really cool one

and check out the couple who were on Britains Got Talent.
TOTALLY out of league but WOWSER!!

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds