logolong

Pereg has grown up

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #35848 by
Pereg has grown up was created by
When I first posted on this section on 1 July 2009 - think it was maybe my first post on this website, I talked about my Little One who was 11½ years old, and my then 6 month old lollopy lollop.

My beloved Little One went to sleep curled up to me as usual, and at ~4.30am she died. January 21 2010. One month short of her 12th birthday. She was not really old, was not ill, and was not in pain. She just went to sleep and died. I used to use her photo as my avatar and only when I came back here after quite a time, did I decide to change it to my current one.

Pereg, the lollopy lollop that was, has now grown and is a beautiful 2½ year old weighing 17 kilos - rather a lot more than my Little One who was only maybe 5½ kilos.

And Pereg, my beautiful girl, has developed epilepsy. Idiopathic Epilepsy.

She did not deserve this - she is a beautiful young adorable dog and it breaks my heart. In a minute I will call her and say "come and get your medicine" and she will trot into the kitchen, wait for me to take a small piece of cheese to put her pill in, and then, bless her, sits in her "please mommy" mode, with her right front paw lifted, waiting for her medication.

Oh how I love her but oh how I miss my Little One.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #35889 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Re: Pereg has grown up
Oh Gandra, I feel for you, I know we are having a laugh but when it comes to our pets I feel so sorry that you lost your baby and now your other baby has epilepsy. I suffer with sezuires and as a human know how frightening they are so as for a dog I can imagine how aweful it must be. I hope you have a few more long happy years with your lolly. Now I have found another thing we have in common!Our babies. Mine is furry with 4 legs and his name is bubba! And he is a cat! :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #35898 by
Replied by on topic Re: Pereg has grown up
Pereg on The Silver Monster, and exploring on one of the tractor paths behind my bungalow:

s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g390/HerAnd...?albumview=slideshow

Incidentally, Pereg is the Ivrit for Poppy.

More
12 years 10 months ago #35989 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Re: Pereg has grown up
Pereg looks so happy! That shows how much he loves you and you him. Bubba smiles alot because my hubby & I spoil him! having a pet as an companion being stuck in alday is great being disabled.:)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #35997 by
Replied by on topic Re: Pereg has grown up
Pereg is happy - oh, and she is a girl! Pereg is the Ivrit for Poppy, which I had intended calling her until I was outside in the pouring rain, leaning against the wall of my bungalow propped up on my crutches, saying "come on Poppy, make peepee for mommy" and I realised how stupid it sounded.

So she is Pereg, with the "r" sort of uvular, ie half way between gutteral and the French rolling "r", and the emphasis being on the "reg". Actually depending on whether the "Pe" is said in a higher tone, both syllables at the same tone, or at a lower tone with the "reg" on a higher tone, it means, to her, either a greeting, a question, or a "what have you just done! :lol:

She doesn't look very feminine though, does she! But she is, and she was spayed as soon as she was old enough.

Her epilepsy was just something that has happened - idiopathic epilepsy - and canine epilepsy is exactly the same and is treated with mostly the same medication as human epilepsy. I know that she is not in pain during a Grand Mal seizure and that she is not aware of it - even the terrible post-ictal behaviour is bad for me to watch and try to comfort her but she is not aware of it.

And I have spoken with people who are epileptic and they all say that they are not aware of Grand Mals but do feel rather sore and achy afterwards, and that it is people who might see the seizure but who do not understand it who are frequently more concerned than they are.

My Vet, who I have known since I first adopted my Little One over what, 13 years ago? - is epileptic, and I really put my foot in it when he told me by saying "but you drive". And he said yes, because his epilepsy is controlled by medication but that in the past he had had his driving licence removed for a while. I am not sure but I think it must be a minimum of one year seizure-free before getting a driving licence back, although I really don't know the regulations.

So Pereg is epileptic. So what? It could break my heart if I let it but I won't, because I love her so very much.

At the moment she is on 50mg Pb morning and 25mg evening, with an additional 25mg following a Grand Mal or to ward one off when she has a complex partial seizure.

She also has Taurine as a supplement to help reduce/lessen post-ictal behaviour, and Milk Thistle to help her liver cope with the side effects of the Pb.

And as is said, there is only one thing certain about epilepsy, and that is the uncertainty.

It's a booger, innit.

More
12 years 9 months ago #36737 by ducky
Replied by ducky on topic Re: Pereg has grown up
my little dog who died last year had fits also
she was 12 yrs old
misty was a scruffy looking dog but adorable and gentle she was a jack russle
I suppose she was are baby as all my children where grown up
sadly I will not be able to have another dog as I am gettting worse and hubby is also having proplems :(

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds