logolong

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA 1995):

More
16 years 5 months ago #1279 by Scott_1984
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA 1995): Am I covered by the Disability Discrimination Act?: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/DDA/am_I_covered.htm

The Disability Discrimination Act can be a valuable tool to help you get a service that is suited to you from organisations like the Department for Work and Pensions.

For example, it could save you from having to wait for hours in crowded rooms or from having to have interviews where you can be overheard by other people.

In relation to employment the Disability Discrimination Act can help you to stay in your job if you already have one or get a job if you don't.

(See What are my rights under the Disability discrimination Act? for more on this): www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/DDA/my_rights.htm

If organisations ignore your rights under the Disability Discrimination Act you may be entitled to compensation.

(See Action and compensation under the Disability Discrimination Act for more on this): www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/DDA/help_taking_action.htm

But before you can take action under the Disability Discrimination Act you need to be sure you're covered by it.

The good news is that you don't have to be 'disabled' to be protected by the Disability Discrimination Act.

If you have a long-term health condition that has a substantial adverse affect on your everyday activities, then you may be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act.

This includes everyday health problems, such as:

arthritis

depression

back problems

anxiety

ME

heart problems

diabetes

bowel and bladder conditions

If your condition affects everyday activities, such as your:

ability to move around

manual dexterity

physical co-ordination

continence

ability to lift, carry or move ordinary objects

speech, hearing or eyesight

memory, or ability to concentrate, learn or understand

ability to recognise physical danger

and has lasted, or is likely to last, at least a year, then there's a good chance that you are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act.

Benefits & Work - Website: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds