logolong

Wrist Instability/Carpal Instability - Chat:

More
15 years 11 months ago #2637 by Scott_1984
Hiya again Richard :)

Ligament Injury of the wrist Discussion - www.eatonhand.com/dis/dis038.htm

Ligament injuries of the wrist are a difficult problem for which there may be no satisfactory solution.

Complete tears will not heal and result in alteration of the alignment of the wrist bones which can cause painful instability and degenerative arthritis.

Stiffness and loss of motion are common.

Treatment options include surgical repair of the ligaments, ligament reconstruction with a graft, or partial wrist fusion.

These are all major surgical undertakings, and require prolonged immobilization, hand therapy, and lengthy recovery times.

On the average, following surgery, half of the normal range of wrist flexion and extension is lost.

Degenerative arthritis can occur even after corrective surgery, and additional surgery may be required.

In patients with congenitally lax ligaments, it may be impossible to determine the extent of instability due to injury.

Patients who voluntarily produce a dramatic painful physical finding related to wrist instability should be managed with the same degree of caution as patients with voluntary shoulder instability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #6186 by Sigma
Hi Guys,

It's been some time since I have been on this site...but a lot has changed...

I have been diagnosed with an HCTD (Hereditary Connective Tissue Disorder), called Marfan's (MFS). The diagnosis has both made things clearer and more difficult. It explains a lot of things about most of my life...especially the struggle with lax-joints, which is worstening.

I hope there is some of you struggling with similar issues and able to give advice and/or assistance.

The doctors has finally pin-pointed the problem with my wrists as being a form of \"Osteoarthritis\" due to the loose joint movements. I have loss of cartlidge in both my wrists (mostly the left) and have to wear carpul braces on both. This has made it impossible to grip a mouse, so I am now using a tablet.

According to my GP, the best that can be done, is braceing, cortrezone injections if it gets too bad and eventually, fusing the wrist bones.

Has any one here gone through a similar situation and have any different solutions?

Hope you guys are doing well...

Sigma<br><br>Post edited by: Sigma, at: 2008/08/04 12:37

More
15 years 8 months ago #6225 by Scott_1984
My Orthopeadic &amp; Trauma Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon, doesn't want to carry out a limited or full wrist fusion on my left hand/wrist, &amp; arm,

Due to my age 24, Although I started to suffer from Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI),

&amp; Also Know As: Wrist Instability/Carpal Instability,

At the age of 18 years old on: 13-10-2002 due to an accident/injury with my Ex-Employers,

&amp; since then my left hand/wrist, &amp; arm as go worse since: 13-10-2002 - Present: 04-08-2008,

&amp; I've been doing Hand, Wrist, Finger, &amp; Upper-Limb Physiotherapy &amp; Exerices &amp; I've been wearing a wrist splint/wrist brace since: 28-02-2003 &amp; undergone 3 wrist opeartions on my left hand/wrist, &amp; arm,

&amp; non of these wrist operations crue Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI),

&amp; Also Know As: Wrist Instability/Carpal Instability,

The wrist operations &amp; physiotherapy &amp; excersises are only ways to delay the wrist disability &amp; symptoms :(

Me &amp; Julie from Ablehere.Com, Had Arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy for palmar midcarpal instability/Thermal Capsulorrhaphy for Midcarpal Instability,

Julie had her's in April 2008 &amp; I hust had mine done on: Thursday 24th of July 2008 &amp; I want have my follow up &amp; check up until: Wednesday 03rd of September 2008, &amp; I'll remain in my Heavy, Bulky, Dressing &amp; Part Hard Cast &amp; Arm Sling.

I am still doing my Finger Physiotherapy &amp; Finger Excersises until: 03-09-2008, Although sadly I can still feel my my left hand/wrist Clunking/Snapping out of place &amp; joint :(

You might wanna ask your Doctor/Consultant about having Arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy for palmar midcarpal instability/Thermal Capsulorrhaphy for Midcarpal Instability &amp; Prolotherapy (\&quot;Proliferative Injection Therapy\&quot;) involves injecting an otherwise non-pharmacological and non-active irritant solution into the body, generally in the region of tendons or ligaments for the purpose of strengthening weakened connective tissue and alleviating musculoskeletal pain - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolotherapy

Before having a limited or full wrist operation on your hands/wrists, as a full wrist fusion takes 12 weeks to recover &amp; some full wrist fusions have the carpal bones taken out &amp; use hip tissue, along with a metal plate, &amp; it only delays your wrist disability/symptoms.

More
15 years 3 months ago #15943 by Scott_1984
Bombadil's Post @ tinyurl.com/7rusos & tinyurl.com/a3369h

My Response to him in the above links &amp; Below:

Sorry to here you bad news :(

But your Surgeons Stupid, Mid Carpal Instability can only truely be spotted through Physical Tests/Examinations of The Hands/Wrists &amp; Wrist Arthroscopy,

X-Rays are \&quot;POINTLESS\&quot;, Even for Hyper Mobility Syndrome.

Have you got E-Mail, I'll show you what My Surgeons said &amp; what Marks and Spencer Plc's Surgeons said.

Carpal Instability (Musculoskeletal) - 13-01-2006 - Medical Journal Attached @ tinyurl.com/9755pt

Mid Carpal Instability Medical Journals @ tinyurl.com/9os559

Mid Carpal Instability gets worse with time &amp; Repetive tasks/jobs &amp; Manual Labour Jobs :(

Hyper Mobility Snydrome I know less about, But it also gets worse &amp; you can also still get Mid Carpal Instability even if you had an Pre-Exsting Condition such as Hyper Mobility :(

Did your Hands/Wrists, Ever Click, Pop, Snap, Clunk, Or Causes you any problems before the injury, accidnet, or event???...&gt;&gt;&gt; If The Answer is no, Then its unlikely you had Hyper Mobility Syndrome or MCI before,

The same is to be said if you had Hyper Mobility Syndrome You would know you already had it, As the Instability/Pain comes by the light injuries, accidnets, such as hold a kettle &amp; having had no trauma, injury, or accident, to the effected limb ever, Or always getting Instability/Pain through tiny accidnets/injuries to your body or effeted limbs, I.E. loosing your footing on a pavement &amp; spraining your ankle or leg, Or always getting sprians, strains, after almost doing nothing, Then that's likey to be Hyper Mobility Sydrome.

If you've never had any problems with your joints at all &amp; had falls, injuries, accidents, in The Past without Any Strains, Sprains, Pain, Instability, Clickiing/Poping Joints, Then your unlikely to have ever suffered from Hyper Mobility Syndrome in the first place,

&amp; The reason due to you Instability/Pain is likely to be Injuries, Accidents, Trauma, Or Repetitive Tasks/Motions were recorded in Wrist Instability Book of 1997 &amp; other Medical Journals.

Also Some Doctors, Consultants, Hospitals, Etc, Say you can Score 0 (Zero) In The Hyper Mobility Syndrome Tests &amp; Still Have Hyper Mobility Syndrome,

Where as Other Doctors, Consultants, Hospitals, Etc, Say You Have to Score 3 (Three) Or More In The Hyper Mobility Syndrome Tests, To Have Hyper Mobility Syndrome.

The Beighton Score @ tinyurl.com/3k97ak

Post edited by: Scott_1984, at: 2009/01/08 21:41

More
15 years 3 months ago #15945 by Scott_1984
The Beighton Score @ tinyurl.com/3k97ak

&amp; The Beighton Score - The New Diagnostic Criteria for HMS @ tinyurl.com/6u7ke3

More
15 years 3 months ago #15953 by Scott_1984
Julie from here,

ISa trained &amp; skilled Physiotherapist &amp; She got Mid Carpal Instability in both hands/wrists,

She's had to have time off work &amp; to under go Surgies,

&amp; Her Consultant Orthopeadic &amp; Trauma Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon - Mr. Charles A Pailthorpe - tinyurl.com/8d8z9o

He believe's Julie suffered Mid Carpal Instability to both her wrists/hands through Repetive Movements/Tasks &amp; Her Job.

If you have an E-Mail Address, I can send you copy of Page: 30 of Wrist Instability Ueli Buchler - 1997,

States:

Midcarpal Ligament Tear Or Attenuation

*Pain &amp; 'Clunk' In Hyperlax Young Patient After Light Injury Or Repeated Stress

*After Rotational Significant Injury I Normal Patients

&amp; From other medical journals I have read &amp; people I've spoken online &amp; Consultants, Confirm MCI can be caused by Repeated Stress, Or a light injury that patient had years ago or doesn't even remember as the injury was nothing bad.

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds