Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Friedreich's Ataxia 13 years 3 months ago #225

I was diagnosed this genetic disease at the age of 10.

I was using a wheelchair then and relied on it heavily until I was 15, which by then I could not walk at all. I was wheelchair bound by the ge of 18 and using a stand aid hoist, which I still use now.

I also have diabetes and am asthmatic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Friedreich's Ataxia 12 years 9 months ago #820

Welcome to Ablehere Kelly :)

I've add some more information on: Friedreich's Ataxia for other users.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedreich%27s_ataxia

Friedreich's ataxia is an inherited disease that causes progressive damage to the nervous system resulting in symptoms ranging from gait disturbance and speech problems to heart disease.

\"Ataxia,\" which refers to coordination problems such as clumsy or awkward movements and unsteadiness, occurs in many different diseases and conditions.

The ataxia of Friedreich's ataxia results from the degeneration of nerve tissue in the spinal cord and of nerves that control muscle movement in the arms and legs.

The spinal cord becomes thinner and nerve cells lose some of their myelin sheath (the insular covering on all nerve cells that helps conduct nerve impulses).

Delatycki et al. (2000) provided an overview of the clinical features, pathology, molecular genetics, and possible therapeutic options in Friedreich ataxia.[1]

www.curefa.org

Re:Friedreich's Ataxia 12 years 9 months ago #1145

Also see www.ableize.com/specific-disabilities/Friedreich-s-ataxia the UK site has some very good info and a ataxia forum.

Last edit: by scipilot.

Friedreich's Ataxia 7 months 21 hours ago #71508

Researchers at Tufts University have discovered a molecular mechanism that may reverse a genetic defect that causes Friedreich’s ataxia. Prof. Sergei Mirkin of the Department of Biology in the School of Arts & Sciences at Tufts University if we shrink the DNA repetition in tissues to levels found in healthy people, we might be able to stabilize the DNA and reduce the effects of a disease.
Source:-http://bit.ly/2tyVDEC

• Page:
Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds