logolong

What would make an employer attractive to you?

More
12 years 7 months ago #38260 by Janey
I'm quite new here, and this may well have been covered before, so please forgive me if so.

What would give you the confidence that an employer was genuinely inclusive and would welcome disabled employees? What would they need to be saying or doing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: riversidemarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #38774 by NaomiB
hi there, im not quite sure what your asking. Can you be a bit more spescfic in your question. Im generally thinking your asking, why would an employer want to have a 'disabled' employee working for them ? Is that rite, and also what is the advantages of this ? Is thing along the lines of your question ?

Naomi

More
12 years 7 months ago #38787 by Janey
Sorry - I didn't phrase it very well!

I meant that as a disabled employee or job seeker, what would encourage you to want to work for a particular employer? Would you have more confidence in an employer meeting your needs if, for example, they already employ disabled people, or they display the "two ticks" symbol, or they say they are an equal opportunities employer?

If I was an employer wanting to employ more disabled people, what would I need to do to give you confidence that I would be a good employer of disabled people?

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #60394 by Daylight
I look for things like whether or not there are automatic doors already in place, whether or not anyone disabled is already working there, whether or not the company's online profile in different apps (like Glassdoor) state that they participate in affirmative action, & whether or not their advertising backs this up (ie - if all the employer pics/adverts are of one gender/race/age/ability). The current employee/past employee reviews can also be a good source of inclusion commitment information.

And during interviews, I watch for reactions to my usage of, and mentions of, my assistive tech.

My favorite supervisor is a gentleman who had never heard of Dragon Naturally Speaking before, but who couldn't wait for me to start so he could see it in action. He saw, & hired me based on, my skills & abilities, rather than my disabilities.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Daylight. Reason: missing letters

More
8 years 4 months ago #60398 by davida55
my big blue eyes & my shining wheels.. :silly:

More
8 years 4 months ago #60410 by BUBBADOG14
More than likely they will be one up on the Wheels!! :ohmy:

Moderators: NaomiB
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds