logolong

Exercising while disabled

More
11 years 11 months ago #43890 by BUBBADOG14
Ever since I was diagnosed with having Osteo-porosis I've been fighting weight gain and wanting to lose the weight I gain. Since I lost a dramatic amount of weight after being taken off steriods (from a size 24 to size 12) I've wanted to stay a size 12 but the fact when you have a illness such as Osteo-porosis it sort of means you have to be extra careful what exercise you do, as I found to my cost when I took up Tai Chi 3 years ago and while doing a lesson I went to move into a position which ment standing on one foot and broke my metatarsal. Ever since I've been looking at different types of exercise styles and if a disabled person could do them or change it to suit their disability. But not finding anything to suit until now!
I read a report on Arthritis and Pilates and how it helps strengthen muscles with out putting to much pressure on your body or joints. And how it can become away of life. I have got a book on beginners Pilates it goes into how to warm up before doing it and which exercises are best for people with disabilities. I'm going to sit down and read it and then see how I get on with a few exercises. I will do a new post after and tell you how I got on and if it is safe to do for people with disabilites.
I really hope I can come back and say it does work for people with disabilites as I know I'm not the only person who is in a position where they want to lose a little weight and is eatting healthy and just needs to exercise to help them get past the brick wall to losing the weight. Will report back soon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #43919 by tessa
Replied by tessa on topic Re: Exercising while disabled
Hi Bubba,

I've been doing Pilates for a good year and a half, stopped for more or less a year in order to go back doing it now, well these last couple of months, that is. I find it great, even though given my lack of balance and my other problems I'll never be able to work in a group. Private lessons (max. together with my sister) is my only possibility, working on the machines. Still better than nothing, though! But the best exercise ever is and remains for me swimming and water gym! Again that's pretty much impossible for me still due to my lack of balance, but have you tried that already?

Take care, Tessa :)
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by tessa.

More
11 years 11 months ago #43920 by DarkFairy
I'm facing the same problems, well kind of. I really want to lose weigt, as my weight makes walking even harder. It's not that I'm that much overweight, but my doctor did advise me to lose some weight.

The problem is I can't really find the right exercise. I can't really go the gym, because I have balance problems etc. I ddo cycle but that's not enough.

I also go swimming sometimes, I really like it but on the other you always have to shave before you go. It takes me hours to get it done and its painful. And the hair is back within three days if not less :(

More
11 years 11 months ago #43925 by BUBBADOG14
I can't swim because I suffer from sezuires and I'm told by my consultant it's to dangerous. So this will be my last resort really. You don't need to go to big classes you can do pilates at home as long as you follow the book or DVD to the letter it should be alright. I'm lucky that my sister-in-law has done classes for years now so she can point out which is the best moves for my disability. Well I've order my mat so no going back now!
As I said you don't need to go to classes you can do it at home as I'm going to do, there's lots of books & DVD's on the market. But always buy the beginners DVD or books to start with. I will let you know how I get on and will let you know if it's good for people with disabilities as the paper I read said or if it was wrong!

More
11 years 11 months ago #43961 by tessa
Replied by tessa on topic Re: Exercising while disabled
Hi Bubba

I'm happy you'll give it a try! I went again today and I really feel good about it. I could never do it at home though, like you're planning to. Lack of consistency I guess. Even before getting sick I always needed the presence of a teacher or a class to sort of 'get going', 'push myself' and reach my limits. That's me I guess!

Let us know how it goes! Cheers, Tessa

More
11 years 10 months ago #44097 by Jana
Replied by Jana on topic Re: Exercising while disabled
Count me in, too! I've battled my weight my whole life but with the pain of degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia, even with pain medication, I've really piled the weight on. I'm too tired to move most of the time. I have a stationary recumbant bike, quite dusty at the moment! Trying to watch what I eat doesn't seem to be enough now that I'm over 50. Not sure where my motivation went, guess I stated it in my intro, but life just seems so overwhelming! :unsure:

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds