logolong

Need support: hypermobility and carpal instability

More
15 years 2 months ago #15823 by bombadil
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I found out today that workers compensation (according to their website) will compensate individuals who have a pre-existing condition that was enhanced by a workplace injury.

This is really strange, because that is basically the opposite of what my case manager told me a few days ago. I was told that because I have a pre-existing medical condition (carpal hypermobility) that my injury was taking longer to heal and therefore my benefits were to be suspended.

My doctor is sending them more information and is recommending vocational rehabilitation.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

P.S. IckleKitty: Ya the nerve conduction tests HURT! :pinch:<br><br>Post edited by: bombadil, at: 2009/01/04 13:10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #15941 by bombadil
Well today I got some really bad news and am completely stressed out.

Workers compensation will not cover me at all because the x-rays don't show anything.

I saw my doctor again today and he told me that he agrees my condition was pre-existing (hypermobility) and that it was just temporarily aggravated by the repetitive typing at my job. He says he can't find any objective evidence that my condition is permanently worse.

For some reason now he is saying I don't have carpal instability, just hypermobility.

I am so angry right now and scared and upset.

There is no way I can go back to typing 110 words per minute for 30 hours a week. Just slowly typing this post is hurting my wrists.

Basically all I can do now is look for some minimum wage job, and one that doesn't involve repetitive movements like a cashier or something.

All of my training and skill sets revolve around computer use.

It pisses me off because clearly something is worse, something is different in my wrists than before. ARG

More
15 years 2 months ago #15942 by Scott_1984
Bombadil's Post @ tinyurl.com/7rusos & tinyurl.com/a3369h

My Response to him in the above links &amp; Below:

Sorry to here you bad news :(

But your Surgeons Stupid, Mid Carpal Instability can only truely be spotted through Physical Tests/Examinations of The Hands/Wrists &amp; Wrist Arthroscopy,

X-Rays are \&quot;POINTLESS\&quot;, Even for Hyper Mobility Syndrome.

Have you got E-Mail, I'll show you what My Surgeons said &amp; what Marks and Spencer Plc's Surgeons said.

Carpal Instability (Musculoskeletal) - 13-01-2006 - Medical Journal Attached @ tinyurl.com/9755pt

Mid Carpal Instability Medical Journals @ tinyurl.com/9os559

Mid Carpal Instability gets worse with time &amp; Repetive tasks/jobs &amp; Manual Labour Jobs :(

Hyper Mobility Snydrome I know less about, But it also gets worse &amp; you can also still get Mid Carpal Instability even if you had an Pre-Exsting Condition such as Hyper Mobility :(

Did your Hands/Wrists, Ever Click, Pop, Snap, Clunk, Or Causes you any problems before the injury, accidnet, or event???...&gt;&gt;&gt; If The Answer is no, Then its unlikely you had Hyper Mobility Syndrome or MCI before,

The same is to be said if you had Hyper Mobility Syndrome You would know you already had it, As the Instability/Pain comes by the light injuries, accidnets, such as hold a kettle &amp; having had no trauma, injury, or accident, to the effected limb ever, Or always getting Instability/Pain through tiny accidnets/injuries to your body or effeted limbs, I.E. loosing your footing on a pavement &amp; spraining your ankle or leg, Or always getting sprians, strains, after almost doing nothing, Then that's likey to be Hyper Mobility Sydrome.

If you've never had any problems with your joints at all &amp; had falls, injuries, accidents, in The Past without Any Strains, Sprains, Pain, Instability, Clickiing/Poping Joints, Then your unlikely to have ever suffered from Hyper Mobility Syndrome in the first place,

&amp; The reason due to you Instability/Pain is likely to be Injuries, Accidents, Trauma, Or Repetitive Tasks/Motions were recorded in Wrist Instability Book of 1997 &amp; other Medical Journals.

Also Some Doctors, Consultants, Hospitals, Etc, Say you can Score 0 (Zero) In The Hyper Mobility Syndrome Tests &amp; Still Have Hyper Mobility Syndrome,

Where as Other Doctors, Consultants, Hospitals, Etc, Say You Have to Score 3 (Three) Or More In The Hyper Mobility Syndrome Tests, To Have Hyper Mobility Syndrome.

The Beighton Score @ tinyurl.com/3k97ak

&amp; The Beighton Score - The New Diagnostic Criteria for HMS @ tinyurl.com/6u7ke3

Post edited by: Scott_1984, at: 2009/01/08 21:46

More
15 years 2 months ago #15944 by Scott_1984
Hypermobility/Hypermobility Syndrome Chat @ tinyurl.com/86pqrk

More
15 years 2 months ago #15949 by bombadil
Thank you so much for your replies Scott.

I looked at the Beighton score, and I actually don't have any of those criteria. I asked the doctor today if he thinks I have hypermobility syndrome or just hypermobile wrists, and he said that he had not yet tested me to see if I have hypermobility syndrome, but that he thinks I have hypermobility just in my wrists (carpal hypermobility).

I don't remember my wrists cracking and clunking like this before my injury.

The doctor diagnosed me as having \&quot;chronic RSI and carpal hypermobility\&quot;. I asked him what is causing my RSI and he said he doesn't know.

The only test he did were X-rays and also he took my wrists in his hands and moved them around (which really hurt).

I realized today that this doctor never diagnosed me as having wrist instability/carpal instability. That is what a physiotherapist told me, and is also what workers comp thinks I have. I'm not sure how they got that opinion.

I am thinking of just giving up, but do you think I should try to find another doctor and get a third opinion?

Right now if I make a tight fist I feel a \&quot;clunk/pop\&quot; in my wrist, and the same thing happens if I just turn my wrists or anything.

More
15 years 2 months ago #15950 by bombadil
Is it possible for a repetitive strain injury (RSI) to cause carpal/wrist instability?

The doctor told me today that it is only possible to get carpal instability from a traumatic injury (like falling on your wrists or something), not from typing on a keyboard.

Would it be possible for repetitive typing to cause carpal instability?

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds