Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using a wheelchair and children staring.

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 4 weeks ago #68498

I was born with Scoliosis. I can walk but i use a wheelchair a lot when i go out somewhere. It is a wheelchair that someone pushes me in. Sometimes children stare at me. I think it is because of the wheelchair. Parents should teach their children about why someone has to use a wheelchair, then they might not stare. Is there anyone else that uses a wheelchair? Do you get stared at?

I have two blogs:

See the person, not just the condition/disability www.facebook.com/mescoliosisdisability

sarahandscoliosis.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 3 weeks ago #68522

• jj~
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Sarah, if you've obtained your identity and are comfortable with it as a human being, no one, not even children should give you concerns about You.
Parents are not the role models once thought. SO ENJOY LIFE AND JUST BE YOU ~
The following user(s) said Thank You: SarahlouiseUK, AngelMM

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 3 weeks ago #68523

• jj~
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sarah, if you've obtained your identity and are comfortable with it as a human being, no one, not even children should give you concerns about You.

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 3 weeks ago #68524

• jj~
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 3 weeks ago #68525

• jj~
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 3 weeks ago #68526

• tessa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Dear Sarah, I've been sitting in a wheelchair since 10 years last July and children constantly stare at me too, sometimes even adults do it (and certainly not for my beauty) and you know what? I used to get upset during the very first years, because I couldn't get used to this whole new life, the chair and so on. So I used to get mad at people, and even at children. All this until I realised the problem laid with me not them. I dropped the attitude, and started smiling to people and welcoming everyone with a nice, big smile! May I suggest you do the same? It's a win/win situation. Children, people in general tend to think we have other type of problems, more or less related to our thinking capabilities. People believe something's very wrong with our brains, while children simply find us "different". They both deserve to be reassured, and a smile does just that. Try, and write me back, telling me how it worked!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SarahlouiseUK, AngelMM

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 month 1 day ago #68691

To Sarah. I also use a wheelchair. When children look at me or stare, I often notice their parents acting uncomfortable with the situation. I often start a conversation by saying I use the wheelchair because my legs are silly and wobbly. The kids often giggle and this sets the parents at ease. I can only suggest to be the wonderful person you are, and let people see you for that and not just a person in a wheelchair.

Last edit: by Cameron guitarman.

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 4 weeks 1 day ago #68708

I've been in a wheelchair for 47 years and kids ALWAYS stare at me in public. My way of thinking is that in 99.99% of those cases it's just plain kid curiosity about something out of the ordinary so I tend to just go about my normal activities.

If a kid does approach me I'll try and explain why I need a wheelchair and if they and their parents are fine with it I will offer them a quick spin on the wheelchair to make the encounter a bit more memorable.

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 week 1 day ago #68836

I have used both scooter and manual wheelchair and have been stared at but the problem isn't just on their side. Why should the staring bother us anyway? Everyone is different, we are just different in a more visual way. We are also a minority and so should expect some odd reactions. We have to learn to use one of two approaches, either learn to ignore it completely or to react positively to it.

Often I will go out of my way to engage with those that stare and show them that I am really not so different and I never let their reaction bother me because it isn't particularly important to me. They will accept me as I am or they will not, the loss is mostly theirs if not.

People simply do not talk about things openly in most countries and therefore, the first time encounters, there will always be awkwardness. We must teach children to do two things. Never be frightened of someone who is different, just careful. We must also explain carefully to those that do suffer that they will get such responses at times and teach them to be confident dealing with it. And might that article be helpful for you healthyhowardmd.org/best-wheelchairs/ .
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadetree

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 week 1 day ago #68837

Sarah im not in a wheelchair but people stare at me sometimes too. I had facial reconstruction surgery.Ive got seven metal plates in my face. I had a kid the other day in church that kept turning around looking at me. I also have bad anxiety and i never know if its my mannerisms because im nervous that cause people to stare or just people being wierd and rude.

When its kids i definitely wouldnt take it to heart or let it bother you. Theyre just curious and im sure dont mean any real harm. When they stare, use it as an oppurtunity to talk to them and educate them about your chair, about you, why youre in the chair etc. Like the old saying kill them with kindness. That will throw them off guard too lol. I can imagine sometimes thats annoying as H*** though. But dont let it bring you down. I dont know you, but im sure youre a great person and thats all that really matters in the end right? Please dont let others opinions and bad manners etc ruin even a second of your day its not worth it. Just keep doing you and let them do what theyre doing and dont give it a second thought

Last edit: by shadetree.

Using a wheelchair and children staring. 1 week 1 day ago #68840

• jj~
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
In Chair out of Chair, YOU are as important as the any person next to you .

• Page:
Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds