logolong

Using a wheelchair and children staring.

More
5 years 7 months ago #68498 by SarahlouiseUK
I was born with Scoliosis. I can walk but i use a wheelchair a lot when i go out somewhere. It is a wheelchair that someone pushes me in. Sometimes children stare at me. I think it is because of the wheelchair. Parents should teach their children about why someone has to use a wheelchair, then they might not stare. Is there anyone else that uses a wheelchair? Do you get stared at?

I have two blogs:

See the person, not just the condition/disability www.facebook.com/mescoliosisdisability

sarahandscoliosis.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #68522 by jj~
Sarah, if you've obtained your identity and are comfortable with it as a human being, no one, not even children should give you concerns about You.
Parents are not the role models once thought. SO ENJOY LIFE AND JUST BE YOU ~
The following user(s) said Thank You: SarahlouiseUK, AngelMM

More
5 years 6 months ago #68523 by jj~
Sarah, if you've obtained your identity and are comfortable with it as a human being, no one, not even children should give you concerns about You.

More
5 years 6 months ago #68524 by jj~

More
5 years 6 months ago #68525 by jj~

More
5 years 6 months ago #68526 by tessa
Dear Sarah, I've been sitting in a wheelchair since 10 years last July and children constantly stare at me too, sometimes even adults do it (and certainly not for my beauty) and you know what? I used to get upset during the very first years, because I couldn't get used to this whole new life, the chair and so on. So I used to get mad at people, and even at children. All this until I realised the problem laid with me not them. I dropped the attitude, and started smiling to people and welcoming everyone with a nice, big smile! May I suggest you do the same? It's a win/win situation. Children, people in general tend to think we have other type of problems, more or less related to our thinking capabilities. People believe something's very wrong with our brains, while children simply find us "different". They both deserve to be reassured, and a smile does just that. Try, and write me back, telling me how it worked!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SarahlouiseUK, AngelMM

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds