logolong

Using a wheelchair and children staring.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #68691 by Cameron guitarman
To Sarah. I also use a wheelchair. When children look at me or stare, I often notice their parents acting uncomfortable with the situation. I often start a conversation by saying I use the wheelchair because my legs are silly and wobbly. The kids often giggle and this sets the parents at ease. I can only suggest to be the wonderful person you are, and let people see you for that and not just a person in a wheelchair.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Cameron guitarman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #68708 by Wessel
I've been in a wheelchair for 47 years and kids ALWAYS stare at me in public. My way of thinking is that in 99.99% of those cases it's just plain kid curiosity about something out of the ordinary so I tend to just go about my normal activities.

If a kid does approach me I'll try and explain why I need a wheelchair and if they and their parents are fine with it I will offer them a quick spin on the wheelchair to make the encounter a bit more memorable.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #68836 by Bakagan
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Bakagan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadetree

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #68837 by shadetree
Sarah im not in a wheelchair but people stare at me sometimes too. I had facial reconstruction surgery.Ive got seven metal plates in my face. I had a kid the other day in church that kept turning around looking at me. I also have bad anxiety and i never know if its my mannerisms because im nervous that cause people to stare or just people being wierd and rude.

When its kids i definitely wouldnt take it to heart or let it bother you. Theyre just curious and im sure dont mean any real harm. When they stare, use it as an oppurtunity to talk to them and educate them about your chair, about you, why youre in the chair etc. Like the old saying kill them with kindness. That will throw them off guard too lol. I can imagine sometimes thats annoying as H*** though. But dont let it bring you down. I dont know you, but im sure youre a great person and thats all that really matters in the end right? Please dont let others opinions and bad manners etc ruin even a second of your day its not worth it. Just keep doing you and let them do what theyre doing and dont give it a second thought
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by shadetree.

More
5 years 5 months ago #68840 by jj~
In Chair out of Chair, YOU are as important as the any person next to you .

More
5 years 4 months ago #69064 by Bakagan
I use a powered wheelchair while at rehab during the week and a standard wheelchair at weekends when I'm at home. I've noticed that when I'm in the powered wheelchair that I focus so much on steering it then noticing if anyone is staring. When I'm in my standard wheelchair which has to be pushed, I take more notice of people staring especially children and that article will be useful to read healthyhowardmd.org/blog/how-to-choose-a-suitable-wheelchair/ . If it's just one or two that stare I don't mind but when there's loads staring within a short amount of time then I get angry and upset.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds