logolong

Anyone suffer with extreme muscle spasms (aka 'Charley Horses')? & anyone suffer leg cramp when leaving their wheelchair

More
6 years 10 months ago #65164 by BUBBADOG14
My Epilepsy is under control with meds now but before the seizures would happen when they like and where ever they liked. At my worst I was having 10 seizures a day it was exhausting, at one point we went to watch speedway at Coventry Stadium I had 5 seizures one after the other in the stands and was rushed to Coventry hospital, I was more concerned that I missed the Speedway! But now it's a military operation if we want to go somewhere for a day out. I must see how I feel the day before, then the night before and finally that morning. We have to take blankets, cushions, medication list, medication and drinks. It does put you off going out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #65196 by Amanda2
Your epilepsy sounds really awful but it was good to read that you've found effective medication. Having said that I can see that impromptu outings will still be a thing of the past which must be tedious ... there's a lot to be said for spontaneity! You mentioned your medication list, it sounds like you're on a lot of medications ... I'm only on 4 (five at the moment, from last Saturday, with the UTI antibiotics) but I still have to write down the time I took each pill or I would be hopelessly lost! I My hubby takes 8 daily medications and some of these are twice daily but doesn't write them down. I'd be totally confused and end up taking the same one twice!
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Amanda2.

More
6 years 10 months ago #65204 by BUBBADOG14
I'm on 10 tabs in the morning & 12 tabs at night, I'm pretty good at self medicating myself now (the nurses said so when I was last in hospital in January!) . I also use the medication boxes that have the days of the week on and morning, noon & night compartments that also help me. I order my medication online and have it delivered to me by the pharmacy I use. I have a draw in my bedroom for all the medication boxes, my friends say I have my own Pharmacy in bedroom!!!

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #65221 by Amanda2
You certainly need to be as well organised as you are with that number of medications!

As planned, I went to see my Dr on Tuesday (about my UTI) and also mentioned the 'Charley Horse' muscle spasms. Interestingly (in view of our earlier Forum discussions) she said that there is a relationship between Restless Leg Syndrome and muscle spasms and she asked if I also suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome and when I said that I did she said that in that case she could try me on Ropinirole (for the first two days: one pill daily and thereafter two). This gradual approach is to allow your tummy to get used to them (apparently they can cause nausea). They're actually primarily used for Parkinsons' disease. Strangely enough ... about 14 hours after my first pill I had a bad muscle spasm, again: whilst in bed and this time, for the first time affecting a second muscle. However I wasn't expecting instant results from the new pills! Time will tell. I will report back here concerning how effective I find them. Strangely enough my Dr said that she also suffers from RLS! I was also given a blood test for iron ... I think she said that low iron levels can cause RLS, I will get that result next week.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Amanda2.

More
6 years 10 months ago #65229 by BUBBADOG14
I've been on Iron tablets for last 6months due to my Anaemia, funnily enough my spasms are pretty bad today! Will have to see how you get on with the tabs your trying and if you get results will ask after them when I next see G.P, it maybe a no because of the mix of medication I'm already on!!

More
6 years 10 months ago #65235 by Amanda2
My Dr wants me to try the pills for 2 or 3 months to see how I get on with them, they do have an especially long list of side effects... some quite bizarre! I will certainly let you know how I get on both in regard to leg spasms and RLS. RLS is so irritating... you just can't relax with it can you? According to what my Dr said ... it could well be that your anaemia is related to your RLS so it's a good thing you're on iron pills or your RLS may be even worse!

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds