logolong

Anyone suffer with extreme muscle spasms (aka 'Charley Horses')? & anyone suffer leg cramp when leaving their wheelchair

More
6 years 9 months ago #65066 by Amanda2
I was sorry to read that you suffer migraines too...and to last more than 2 days, that's dreadful, no wonder you feel so drained, I imagine you've asked your Dr about them? Sorry too to read about the spasms and I think you're right, our bodies certainly know when we're at a low ebb from another condition and seem to choose their moment ... I suppose sometimes we're not good at multi tasking in that our bodies are trying to deal with condition 1) so only gives scant attention to condition 2). I think you're taking the right approach in learning about your conditions: sometimes it can help a great deal. In some ways no one is going to be as expert (not even a Consultant) in your own conditions as you yourself are because we all react a little differently to the same condition. I hope you're feeling better soon. Take care.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #65070 by Joelyb65
I've suffered from severe muscle spasms in my calves since I was 16 yo (I'm now 51) and in recent years I've been having spasms in my chest, stomach and back, I barely have to move to cause them and it is extremely painful!
When I was hospitalized in 2015, I mentioned it to my new Doctor and he said it's due to a deficiency of Magnesium, and for the week I was there, he had me pumped full of Magnesium tablets!
After that, I was fine for a long time, but recently I've had trouble again so I'm going to buy some Magnesium tablets and get it back into me!
It would be worth your while giving them a go and seeing what happens?
You need to take several tabs a day to really get it into your system!

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #65074 by Amanda2
Thanks a lot for your post. I was sorry to see that you get these extreme muscle spasms too. They are dreadful aren't they? I did used to take Magnesium until I started on antibiotics (a year ago today strangely enough) for my urine infection. I read that things like minerals can block the absorption of antibiotics so I then decided not to risk taking any for the time being. My cramps have certainly become worse since I came off the Magnesium and as I'm currently off antibiotics your post has inspired me to start taking Magnesium again and hopefully I'll be able to stay on it this time! Thanks for the tip that it needs to get into your system.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Amanda2.

More
6 years 9 months ago #65081 by Joelyb65
No worries Amanda, glad to help, I know exactly how painful and debilitating those spasms can be!
I was recently in the car with my Dad and I was thrashing around having spasms and being strapped in didn't help, it made glad me I don't drive!?

More
6 years 9 months ago #65082 by BUBBADOG14
Joely my friend thank you for posting about magnesium tablets I'm going to check with my G.P if I'm okay to try them and see how I get on, will let you both know if I get cleared to take them.

More
6 years 9 months ago #65091 by Amanda2
Joely, your spasms sound really dreadful. I do sympathise.

In the end I cancelled my Dr appointment for today because it was primarily for my UTI and at the moment it's (unusually) behaving itself so I will see her next week instead. I think even if the UTI continues to behave itself next week I will still see her about the muscle spasms ... I need to get to bed to control the amount of lymph fluid in my legs (it tends to disperse when I'm in bed) so dreading the muscle spasms (which occur when in bed) is no way to live! I'll report back on what my Dr had to say about the spasms anyway.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds